Distinctive Features effected by non-standard Dependency

jbx

Hello.

How might you build this (in 5th ed).

A character with teleportation powers who has Tourettes. The effect being the longer he goes unmedicated the more likely he is to "flicker" as his body teleports or falls out of phase.

So on the one hand it's a DF related to flickering (kinda like the Agents in The Matrix films I'd say, for reference) and on the other hand it's predicated on a Dependency, probably based on the Incompetency option. This would represent increasing twitches and tics.

How might you handle this sort of a Disad? Where it varies based on the effects of another Disad?

Activation roll for the DF based on Dependency time?

Something like that? Or define the DF as being the consequence of the Dependency itself?

And what about a variable or activation based DF itself? Accidental Change based on Dependency linked to DF?

Any ideas?

Re: Distinctive Features effected by non-standard Dependency

Tourettiportation? Hmm.

This is built in 5e using HD3:

Dependence: Medication. Powers Gain 11- Activation Roll (Easy To Obtain; 6 Hours)

It is only 5 points, I'm assuming prescription medication is easy to come by, and the activation roll simulates not always being here.

Would I allow DF as well? Hmm. Probably not. It is probably something that is rarely detectable (unless he is constantly losing his meds), and, is not going to help to identify the character later, if they have taken their medication by then.

Tourettiportation? Hmm.

This is built in 5e using HD3:

Dependence: Medication. Powers Gain 11- Activation Roll (Easy To Obtain; 6 Hours)

It is only 5 points, I'm assuming prescription medication is easy to come by, and the activation roll simulates not always being here.

Would I allow DF as well? Hmm. Probably not. It is probably something that is rarely detectable (unless he is constantly losing his meds), and, is not going to help to identify the character later, if they have taken their medication by then.

So the idea is that the DF is not concealable. His hold body kinda flickers like an old TV. Which I think would provide a Major reaction. I figure a person might dismiss it once, "just saw it out of the corner of my eye", type thing. But if you are looking right at somebody and their whole body flickers in a clearly unnatural way...that's a DF.

The idea is that this happens all the time, meds or not, but randomly. In addition to that if the character misses out on his Dependency then this flickering gets worse (more prevalent).

So the DF itself is "random" (Activation roll? Accidental Change to "Flickering"?) but not very concealable. And the Dependency kinda feedsback in to that, in that the DF gets 'worse' (more common) as the Dependency runs it's course.

The medication is pain pills or antipsychotics. The PCs are going to be wanted criminals so getting access to them may be problematic. But they may also be able to steal large quantities at a time. Not sure how that'll play out.

Thanks for the replies! http://www.herogames.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If this is a world with superpowers in it then demonstrating superpowers is not going to provoke a major reaction (well, OK, depends on background, but even then generally many superheroes will be demonstrating superpowers anyway - does everyone get DF?). OTOH I would agree that if this does happen 'anyway', just moreso without meds, then it would be worth a DF complication.