CON Stunned without STUN

Lightray

Originally posted by jallen0002

The actual average would be 24.5 (or 25 rounding up).

Average of a D6 is 3.5 :), hence why 11 or less is the default.. 11 or less = 50/50 chance with 3D6 :)

Jeremy

But "standard effect" is three pips per die. You loose the element of chance and get a slightly below average effect every time. See FREd, pages 10 & 72.

Originally posted by Nevenall

Thanks for the info. Time to build those AOE Supress Body effects.

Try this on for size:

Soul Rot

1d6 Suppress vs. Body

Continuous (+1)

0 END (+½)

Uncontrolled (+½)

Invisible Power Effects: Fully Invisible (+1)

Incantations, Only to Start (-¼)

Gestures, Only to Start (-¼)

OAF Talisman (-1)

Req. A Magic Roll (-½)

Standard Effect (+0)

20 Active 7 Real

This target of this spell begins to weaken, sicken and die for no apparent reason; in fact they are being eaten away from within by their past guilts and wrongdoings. If not stopped, the effect will continue until they die, and there is no way to tell they are not in fact permanently dead. Ending the spell will instantly restore them to full health.

Game Notes: Any target of this spell that does not have Power Defense will lose 1 BODY the first phase, 2 BODY the next, then 1 BODY, etc. The effect may be ended by a confession of wrongdoing, or by any Dispel/Suppress-type effect that affects magic.

One of the nifty things about it is that since something that's Supressed comes back fully & instantly once the Supress is turned off, they can even be "dead" for a while before you let them come back.

"Lo, behold! The Lord giveth unto the unworthy one a second chance that he might repent! Tremble in awe as the Lord does cause the dead to live again!!" ...and switch off the Supress. That's GOTTA be worth a couple of extra PRE dice vs. the crowd...

The first thing I ever did with this was to model a long-term spaceflight "cryogenic suspension" -- easier and cheaper than Simulate Death, Usable As An Attack or some other clumsier constructions. Just put them "under", turn it off centuries later and BAM! Back to the same state they were when the Supress started!

What's the difference between a Drain/Suppress that STUNS them and one that knocks them unconscious?

Put a limitation on the attackt: Cannot reduce STUN below 0

And we have already included the "all points return following REC phase" as a limitation. Drain STUN causes Stunning just as easily as EB damage.

Though I admit, I think the EB NND is straight up cheaper for the same effect.

I was thinking out loud because it intrigued me. The NND is the cheaper construct.

5d6 EB, NND, Does no damage - only for Stunning target(-1); 50 Active, 25 Real

5d6 Power Drain, Ranged, Points return instantly (-1), Cannot reduce STUN below 0 (-1/2); 75 Active, 30 Real.

Originally posted by Farkling

Though I admit, I think the EB NND is straight up cheaper for the same effect.

I was thinking out loud because it intrigued me. The NND is the cheaper construct.

Uh-oh, looks like a case for meta-rule #6...

Actually the Suppress is a better way to knock someone out for 1 segment (or phase) than the NND. However, Stunning is not quite equivalent to a 1-phase Knocked Out.

I don’t have my FREd handy, but IIRC: Unconscious person is going to be at 0 DCV while the Stunned person is only at 1/2 DCV. Nonpersistent powers will turn off for both. The Unconscious person may be forced to lose his/her next phase taking a Recovery (don’t remember) - but if so, then they’ll’ve had a Recovery that a Stunned person would have missed (and, depending on how you wrote the power, may have been forced to lose 2 phases).

N.B.: I briefly considered giving this character a “Hex†power: Drain, Can Remove Adders, vs. Range on Sight Group (i.e., cheesy Flash). I figure the “Power Word: Stun†spell was enough fromage for one character...