Applying negative DCV to a target?

lordredraven

I'm looking for a way to apply negative DCV to a target. So far I as am able to tell you can do it as a transformation or a drain/supress to dcv the characteristic. Transform is too long and I don't want suppress to be able to drain it completely (One implement would be fine, but having it drain further each attack is not). Just a minor debuff of a few dcv so long as the character keeps paying end for the effect.(The character is performing a spell like otto's irresistible dance, only more minor. I figured the best way to represent that the power is forcing the target to fidget and dance is to represent it as a penalty to dcv.) I thought there was a way to impose negative csls on others in past editions, but I can't find anything like it in 6th atm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Applying negative DCV to a target?

Suppress sounds like exactly what you want unless I am misunderstanding you.

From CC 59:

Suppress is an alternate form of Drain. It takes the Limitation

Costs Endurance To Maintain (-½), is considered a Constant

Power, and is subject to the standard rules for maintaining

Constant Powers, except that continued Suppressing doesn’t

automatically keep removing additional CP ... Instead, Suppressed CP don’t return

while the Suppress is maintained, but they return instantly

once the Suppress stops.

A wordier explanation that amounts to the same thing can be found in 6E1 196.

I think your confusion might be due to the fact that the example shows someone using the same Suppress multiple times on the same target. However, they are also paying for the END of BOTH attacks every phase then. Using Suppress once does not keep draining it every phase, it just keeps it at the "suppressed level" as long as you keep paying the END. To lower it further you have to Attack the same target again with the same attack and keep paying the full END cost for both uses of the Power the entire time. If you really want you could add a Limitation "Can only be applied once per target" at -0, or maybe -1/4 with a generous GM.

EDIT: Some GMs might allow such an effect with Change environment based on this:

3 Additional -1 to the Range Modifier (or, in the GM’s judgment, some

other negative Combat Modifier)

But I think they would up the price from 3 points to at least 5. Not sure if I would allow it at all without looking at it closer first.

I agree that suppress is the way to go. To ensure that you only suppress the amount you want to you can use the Standard Effect Rule. You will need 4d6 of Suppress per pt of DCV you want to Suppress tho, so this gets expensive in a hurry and if you are using AP caps that apply to this sort of power -1 DCV will probably be your max (-2 if you are playing with at least 80 pt caps). If you don't use SER the fact that it takes 10 pts of "effect" to apply -1 DCV will mean that you will frequently fail to actually do anything to your target (unless you buy extra dice to be sure) so I highly recommend it if your GM will allow it.

I agree that suppress is the way to go. To ensure that you only suppress the amount you want to you can use the Standard Effect Rule. You will need 4d6 of Suppress per pt of DCV you want to Suppress tho' date=' so this gets expensive in a hurry and if you are using AP caps that apply to this sort of power -1 DCV will probably be your max (-2 if you are playing with at least 80 pt caps). If you don't use SER the fact that it takes 10 pts of "effect" to apply -1 DCV will mean that you will frequently fail to actually do anything to your target (unless you buy extra dice to be sure) so I highly recommend it if your GM will allow it.[/quote']

Many GMs would allow 3d6 at Standard Effect since, in reality, 3.5 is truly average, not 3. You'll see a lot of Drain 1 Speed (including at least one "official" published one if I can find it) built with 3d6 Drain and SPD costs 10 points.

True, but I hate giving out advice that requires GM approval. And IMO Drain is a different critter than Suppress. That 3d6 Drain, even if it should miss getting the full 10 pts needed in one turn, will keep those points gone and a 2nd Drain will have a REALLY good chance of suddenly taking off 2 SPD assuming that it happens before fade rate sets in. A suppress (on the other hand) generally requires you to get what you want in 1 roll (unless you are willing to pay double END costs the whole time you keep it up). If you fail the roll then you generally will not want to pay the END cost phase after phase so will turn it off and try again next phase, meaning your attack this phase didn't do anything.

Of course I personally have nothing against allowing 3d6 to be sufficient. Even RAW for SER your only 1 pt shy. I probably wouldn't allow it in my games (as this power gains almost no real benefit from a High Roll so SER is basically an advantage to start with) but I don't have anything against it.