Simple summoning question

phiwum

My player is a fire-based character and wants to summon fire elementals. Since elementals are automata, he's paid the "slavish devotion", along with the cost to summon four 150pt. elementals.

Now, as far as I can tell from the rules, each phase he can summon four of these guys, with no maximum number, as long as he has the endurance to pay for it. Does that sound right?

Sure sounds like it's a very powerful ability.

Re: Simple summoning question

No, the maximum you can Summon is the multiplier - in this case he can have 4 Summoned at any one time, maximum.

See "Number Of Summoned Beings" (6E1 p289; 5ER p224).

There is an option to allow for an unlimited number, I have never played in a game that allowed that.

No, the maximum you can Summon is the multiplier - in this case he can have 4 Summoned at any one time, maximum.

See "Number Of Summoned Beings" (6E1 p289; 5ER p224).

There is an option to allow for an unlimited number, I have never played in a game that allowed that.

Okay! I thought that would make more sense, but the wording in Champions Complete is a bit ambiguous.

Thanks much.

I should get CC and read it' date=' so I can add it to my references. Someday.[/quote']

I suppose I should get the two Hero System books some day, too, but I've just bought CC (moving from 4th to 6th edition) and am feeling a bit poor.

Of course if you read further along on that page you come to a very interesting distinction. The max number of "Summoned" creatures is actually the maximum number of creatures the caster can "Control". Any summoned beings that he no longer controls (such as once they run out of tasks on a failed Ego Roll or anything like that) do not count towards that limit. This does leave the possibility open of creating large numbers of creatures if you do not try to control them (and can deal with the resulting chaos).... Unless of course your GM sees through this and decides to put a stop to it.......