Re: Centrifugal Gravity Effect (question in the rules forum)

An answer to http://www.herogames.com/forums/forum/hero-games/hero-system-6th-edition-rules-questions/3589660-centrifugal-gravity-effect, since only Steve can answer there:

Star Hero is wrong. The difference is around 0.34% at the equator. Just divide the centripedal acceleration by the acceleration due to gravity to get the percentage difference.

OK, here is a page that shows how to do the calculation similar to the method I used, if you care:

http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Gravity/AccOfGravity.html

He doesn't report it as a percentage difference, but you can divide the computed centripidal acceleration by g on the Earth's surface (~10m/s^2) to get 0.34%.

Yeah, thanks for confirming what I suspected, and with the exception of decimal places that is what their formula suggests as well.

I don't understand the exception. My numbers are precisely the same as the link I gave, though reported differently.

I don't have any idea where SH got its numbers.

Sorry, to clarify, what I meant was when I used their formula that the calculation yielded .000033, not the .009 they reported. And yes, the calculation you mention gives the correct result, I was just saying that even with their formula, they didn't get the right answer and I was wondering what they did differently. Thanks again for your help.