Liberty Stands Tall

Cassandra

The Return

"My name is Liberty,"  The airborne Patriotic Super Heroine introduced herself with the American Flag flying proudly behind her,  "May I help you?

She was addressing two men and a woman, all dressed in black, who hovered in the sky in front and just below her, whose flight she had intercepted just short of the White House.  From the scant information she had received before doing so they had come from outer space.  The fact she seemed to be the only Superhero in Washington, D.C., was something Liberty pushed to the back of her mind.

"My name is Aurora,"  The woman, classically beautiful with black hair, green eyes, and a friendly smile, began,  "On behalf of the Nova Briannia Astronomical Society  .  .  . "

"I am Maximus!"  The older of the two men interrupted in a arrogant voice,  "And I demand to see the President!"

"The President is a very busy man,"  Liberty pointed out politely while tightening the grip on her Magic Torch and Shield,  "May I ask what this is regarding?"

"Surrender!"  Maximus said, looking quite pleased with himself, and earning a shocked look from Aurora.

"Oh, there is no need to bother the President with that,"  Liberty said with a friendly smile,  "I can accept you surrender."

The Trio looked at her in stunned silence.  Aurora was first to react, and an amused look came to her lovely face.  Maximus, on the other hand, seemed to be sizing Liberty up.  The other man, who looked twice as big and half as smart as Maximus, spoke first.

"You will treat Lord Maximus with respect, or face the wrath of Brutus the Invincible!"  He warned.

"Seriously?"  Liberty asked,  "That's what you call yourself?"

"Well this has become the worst first contact mission in the history of the Galaxy,"  Aurora said to herself, and then turning to Liberty,  "I must apologize for my companions boorish behavior.  I shall removed them, and we will leave your world in peace."

"You don't speak for us, Alien!"  Maxims said with an evil smile, and suddenly a beam of green energy sprang forth from a glowing disc on his chest, striking Aurora.  She screamed in pain, and began to lose attitude.  Liberty flew in between the two of them, and deflected the beam with her Golden book shaped shield.

"Are you going to take that from them?"  Liberty asked her as she deflected a similar beam fired by Brutus.

"The Green Energy Discs are the source of their powers,"  Aurora told her as she recovered, and then her eyes went wide,  "Look Out!"

Liberty turned to see Brutus diving down at her.  Aurora intercepted him, and after dodging a pair of powerful but clumsy blows, socked him hard in the jaw.  The shock of being hit so hard by a woman caused Brutus to pass out, and he began falling out of the sky right toward the Pentagon.

"Oh, Hades!"  Aurora exclaimed, and then flew after him, barely miss being hit by another Energy Beam fired by Maximus.   Liberty aimed her Golden Torch at Maximus, and a white beam of light came forth from its Crystal Flame.  The enveloped him, and for a moment he looked confused.   

"By The Power of the Light of Truth I command you to Surrender,"  Liberty ordered in a firm voice.

"Surrender?  To you?  Never!"  Maximus replied, and flew right toward her.

"So much for doing this the easy way,"  Liberty said with a sigh, and moved to intercept him.

Below them Aurora managed to catch up to the unconscious Brutus a moment before he would have slammed into the Pentagon.  The momentum, however, carried them to a crash landing in the center of the five sided open center of the building.  Aurora reached over the pulled the Green Energy Disc from his chest, and got up to face a large group of heavily armed men pointing their weapons at her.  A Four Star U.S. Air Force General stepped forward, the name Davenport on his uniform.

"Are you all right, Miss?"  The General asked.

"Yes, Sir,"  Aurora said, and handed him the Disc,  "I surrender to your authority."

A flash in the sky caused all eyes to turn upwards.  Only Aurora could see what was happening.  Liberty and Maximus flew toward each other, and when they met he reached out to grab her.  His fist were intercepted by her Shield, and bounced off it with a clanging sound.  

Maximus flew past her, and tried to turn but instead found him falling toward the ground.  He looked up to see Liberty in the sky above him holding his Disc in her hand.  Maximus looked back toward the onrushing ground, screamed in terror, and fainted.  He never felt her grab his ankle and safely land him outside the White House.

Liberty turned Maximus over to the Secret Service, and was explaining about the Green Energy Disc when she heard the familiar sound of boots landing behind her.  She turned to see a tall blonde women in a red, white, and blue costume standing there.  

"Ms. Justice,"  Liberty acknowledged her.

"You come into my town, save the day,"  The Super Heroine began with a serious tone in her voice, but it soon turned friendly,  "And think you can leave without getting a hug?"

"You're awfully touchy feely for a super heroine,"  Liberty observed.

"Oh, come on,"  Ms. Justice said as she embraced the shorter woman,  "What's it been?  Five years?"

"Excuse me,"  A man in a suit, earpiece, and dark glasses said,  "I'm Steve McCall, head of the President's Protective Detail.  I wanted to unofficially thank you for what you did here today."

"Unofficially,"  Ms. Justice commented disapprovingly.

"There is no need for thanks,"  Liberty said.

"I've also been ordered to strongly suggest you not speak to the Media about this incident,"  McCall added, clearly uncomfortable with his duty.

"Not a problem,"  Liberty replied, and seeing a look of recognition in his eyes,  "It's nice to meet you, Agent McCall."

"Right.  Thank you,"  McCall said, and quickly went back to the White House.

"What was that about?"  Ms. Justice asked.

"I really couldn't tell you,"  Liberty said.

"Got a Minute,"  Ms. Justice continued, and with a nod from Liberty the two women flew to the top of the Lincoln Memorial.

"I have to admit, I've missed the view,"  Liberty said as she looked one the city as the day began to turn into night.

"It's missed you,"  Ms. Justice said,  "My turn to thank you."

"No need,"  Liberty said reassuringly.

"You're probably wondering why you were all alone up there today,"  Ms. Justice said clearly embarrassed.

"You were caught out of position because the new National Security Adviser, Tony Harpe, called you at the last minute and told you their were heading for the United Nations in New York,"  Liberty replied.

"Okay, I'm impressed,"  Ms. Justice admitted,  "How did you know that?"

"I was at the Pentagon when the alert came in,"  Liberty answered.

"And what were you doing there?"  Ms. Justice asked.

"Having lunch,"  Liberty replied, and at that moment she received a message on her Crown radio, "I have to go."

"I understand,"  Ms. Justice said, and then added,  "You're really not going to tell me what you've been doing the last five years, are you?"

"You didn't ask,"  Liberty pointed out, and flew off toward the Pentagon.

"Right, like it would be that easy,"  Ms. Justice said to herself, and flew off in the other direction.

To Be Continued  .  .  .

The Return, Part 2

A few minutes later Liberty was standing in a darkened room next to General Davenport.  They were observing Aurora through a two way mirror as she sat quietly in a white walled interview room.  Liberty was well aware the General towered over her.

"So, she's an alien,"  The General began.

"Apparently,"  Liberty replied.

"Powers,"  Davenport asked.

"Superhuman strength and speed.  The ability to fly faster then light, and survive in outer space,"  Liberty began to list the powers she was aware of.

"X-Ray vision?"  The General asked.

Liberty took a step forward and knocked on the glass.  Aurora turned her head, focused her eyes, smiled, and waved back,  
"Apparently."

"You've been briefed,"  Davenport said,  "Want to help us out?"

"How?"  Liberty asked.

"Because she'a an Alien she falls under Air Force jurisdiction, but the new Administration has cut out budget so we no longer have facilities for her,"  The General explained,  "So it's been suggested that she be place in the custody of a responsible third party."

"Why me?"  Liberty asked, not taking her eyes off Aurora.

"You're a know quantity around here,"  Davenport answered,  "You're considered stable."

"You could straightened them out about that,"  Liberty pointed out.

"Actually it was my idea,"  The General admitted,  "The United States Air Force would appreciate it if you undertook this assignment."

"Why is it when you want me to do something you wave the Flag at me?"  Liberty asked.

"Because it always works,"  Davenport answered.

"It's my own fault for dressing like a national monument.  Fine, I'll do it."  Liberty said with a sigh, and turning to the General added,  "But off the record, this is no way to treat your own daughter.

To Be Continued  .  .  .