Gimme some Opinions

Dinofreak2000

Dinofreak2000, I think you can tell we are all very happy with HERO, as you can see we like it so much we are going to keep telling you how great it is even though you've already decided to buy it. :)

As far as low end, I've never had a problem with it and I typically play at the 50+50 or 75+75 level (above average normal to heroic levels, for comparison superheros typically are 200+ points). I used to think GURPS gave more variety at the lower end but I've found that even though there are more options most of my characters looked very similar regardless of genre, there are just too many very effective things to buy and so few stats you tend to always buy the same stuff. HERO on the otherhand has so many stats that actually do something other than effect your combat ability or skills that I see more variety.

HERO also has Stun, I think this is one of the best game features out there and I'm surprised that so few games have copied this feature.

Where GURPS really out shines HERO is detailed combat, GURPS started as a combat game (Man to Man) and it shows but this is also what holds GURPS down to lower power levels. HERO combat on the other hand works well for a wide range of power levels and grittyness from pretty realistic and deadly to cinematic or comicbook depending on which options you use.

You are right Toadmaster... but i do think it is funny how the thread had become a litgh squabble of GURPS and Hero...

thoguh GURPS does have stun rules (Compendium2 i believe and Martial Arts). Though i am much impressed with what i have read so far of HERO 5th (don't have it yet, just spending time at the game store in the dark corners reading so as to not draw attention).

though i think the stun rules in HERO functions more along the lines of say Shock... a sudden jolt of neural info, while stun has always fealt like a sudden drop in neural info... but i could just have it all mixed up in my head (i got a very nasty head cold, my brother shall pay....)

Though i am planning (hopefully tomorrow_ to pick up the main book, several others especially Ultimatre MArtial Artist and Ninja Hero... want to do a L5R / Rurouni Kenshin thing...

Well, thank for all the imput guys... any of ya in Salt Lake City? (not my choice, so if you comment on it or the obviuous populace characteristics i will be forced to do something sdo horrible not even Piffany would dare look). I wouldn't mind getting a game started or jumpin into one...

OK... carry opn with your debates... lol

Originally posted by Dinofreak2000

Though i am planning (hopefully tomorrow_ to pick up the main book, several others especially Ultimatre MArtial Artist and Ninja Hero... want to do a L5R / Rurouni Kenshin thing...

Ultimate Martial Artist is one of the best HERO books out there! I think it may be my favorite so far, even though I'm not really a Martial Arts fan, it's an extremelly useful book.

You are right Toadmaster... but i do think it is funny how the thread had become a litgh squabble of GURPS and Hero...

Yep, it's hard to compare the two games without sparking some controversy. :) I still hold to the oppinion that each game works best in a certain power (and 'epic-ness') level. It's not like you can't do a High-Power GURPS game or a Low-Level HERO game it's just that you'll have to use more optional rules and probably house rules too. Furthermore, I think it's easier to do a Low-Level HERO game than a High-Level GURPS game.

thoguh GURPS does have stun rules (Compendium2 i believe and Martial Arts). Though i am much impressed with what i have read so far of HERO 5th (don't have it yet, just spending time at the game store in the dark corners reading so as to not draw attention).

I don't remember how GURPS stun works, its been quite awhile since I played. Lately most of my GURPS purchases have been because the source books are so good.

Stun in HERO is sort of like an extra set of "hit points", Stun is non life threatening, Body is life threatening. I find it is a really nice system, but since you sound sold I won't go to far into the details.

Well, thank for all the imput guys... any of ya in Salt Lake City? (not my choice, so if you comment on it or the obviuous populace characteristics i will be forced to do something sdo horrible not even Piffany would dare look). I wouldn't mind getting a game started or jumpin into one...

OK... carry opn with your debates... lol

Mike Basinger is a regular on these boards and he is in Salt Lake City, I think you can do a search for his posts to see if he is looking for any players, I know he is planning an introductory game at a library for some kind of teen game day, you can look into that on the FH forum under "looking for ideas".

There is also a thread in the player finder for a game in Ogden, UT not sure how much of a commute that would be for you.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9926

Good luck, I can't imagine Utah being a hotbed for RPG's but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

GURPS is specifically built to be UN-generic and UN-universal so that you have to spend your money on all their books. Even the basic rules are dished out into three different books. You get everything you need to play any genre under the sun with Hero all in one spiffly black and green package.