Gradual Effect & Drain / Autofire and PSL's

SuperGuy

Question

Here's 2 things I'm curious about.

The use of gradual effect and drain. Let's say there's a 6d6 stun drain that does 20 points that takes effect over 1 minute. The GM drain's 4 points immediately, segment 3 and then 4 points every turn on segment 3.

With 5 points of power defense, the target takes nothing right away, but will take 3 points of drain on the next segement 3, correct? On post segment 12, does the target recover those 3 points, or does he start recovery post segement 12 after the full 20 points have been done?

I'd say he'd have to wait.

Second, the use of penalty skill levels and autofire. My group has found it usefull to buy autofire(10) and buy PSL -8 w/autofire. I noticed in HD v2 RC2 that autofire psl aren't listed. Is that because they're not allowed (normally) or can you just buy psl's with a single attack and not worry about where the penalties are coming from? I know you can't (range penalty is different than Hit location - but can you buy psl's that don't care where the penalties are coming from. +xOCV (5pt levels) only to offset penalties with weapon "Smart Gun"(-1)?)

1 answer to this question

1. See the Rules FAQ under “Gradual Effect.”

2. They’re not listed because PSLs can be used in a variety of ways, and trying to list them all would probably be a big waste of time and space. As the Rules FAQ notes:

Q: Could a character buy PSLs to counteract the OCV penalty for using Autofire against multiple targets?

A: Buying Autofire PSLs to offset Autofire OCV modifiers would be possible, but a better approach is to buy Autofire Skills.

A character has to specify what penalty a PSL counteracts when he buys the PSL; he can’t specify “any penalty” or some subset of penalties. If a character wants to counteract a large number of penalties, he could with the GM’s permission buy Combat Skill Levels, either generally or with appropriate Limitations.