Old Vehicle Statistics

Armitage

I started playing Champions with 4e, but I have a lot of books from the older versions.  Not the rule books though.

Vehicles used to have statistics called ACC, DCC, and TURN.  Obviously, these are acceleration, deceleration, and (presumably) the equivalent of turn mode.  The question is, how do these statistics relate to the current rules?

For example, the Continuum Craft in Adventurer's Club #9 had a maximum flight speed of 500" per Segment (no vehicle SPD back then), ACC 4, DCC 5, and TURN 10.  Mechanically, what would those last three numbers mean in terms of performance?  The article says "It's rather ungainly, and so its ACC, DCC and TURN are not in line with jet aircraft."

IIRC (and it's entirely possible I don't) ACC 4 means it can accelerate by up to 4" per segment, DCC 5 means it can slow down by up to 5" per segment and the Turn 10 means it has to travel 10" in a straight line before making a one hex side facing change.

I lost these books a few years ago, so hopefully someone with them can verify if I'm right or not.

^^^ That is correct.  Vehicle movement in Champions II was segmented, which was kind of cool -- but a real pain in the butt to play out (it rather felt like Star Fleet Battles, IMHO). 

If you were a SPD 2, DEX 20 character who floored it in a vehicle with ACC 4 on Seg 12, then you'd begin accelerating at your DEX on Seg12 and by the end of the segment you'd be moving 4".  By the end of Seg1 you'd be moving 8" ... then 12" at the end of Seg2, 16" at Seg3's end, 20" at Seg4's end, 24" at Seg5's end .... and have covered 84" (total) by the time you reached Seg6 -- where at DEX 20 you'd get a chance to control the vehicle again (steer, step on the brake, both)...

Because vehicles could move faster than they could be controlled in Champions II and III, they were actually pretty dangerous ... unless in high SPD, experienced hands (just like in RL). :)