AoE Mental powers targetting DMCV 3 -- an error?

Surrealone

Question

An unconscious or sleeping mind has a DMCV of 0.  Area of effect mental powers must target a DMCV of 3.  There seems to be a bit of a disconnect, here, in that an area -- which has no mind, at all, and which can be hit mental shotgun blast style -- is actually harder to hit than an unconscious/sleeping mind that is a smaller target. 

This becomes an interesting issue to work out when the unconscious mind occupies the very space the AoE mental shotgun blast would target.  i.e. The smaller unconscious target is easier to hit than the surrounding space, which is counter-intuitive, even for a mentalist, I'd think.  Sure the smaller unconscious target is an open door for a mentalist ... but complete lack of a mind in an open area entails no doors at all. I would think it is easier to attack (with a mental shotgun blast) a space with no doors than would be to attack a smaller space with exactly one door that happens to be open.

Yes, I know it's a strange case -- as it's mixing spatial and non-spatial things, but that's the nature of AoE mental attacks ... hence my need for clarity.  Given the above, I am curious if the 6th edition rule entailing DMCV 3 for AoE mental attacks is simply an error that needs to be corrected (to AoE mental attacks using DMCV 0)?

If not, I'd be very interested in the explanation as to why not, because I'm struggling to comprehend the RAW mechanics on this one (as I hope is obvious with the example, above).

1 answer to this question