Questions

mobulis

Question

1:If char is desolidfied but is affected by heat will absorption heat work even if it doesn't have affects physical world?

2:If a damage shield causes knockback what effect would that have on someone grabbing the damage shield and if multi-attack is used does that that mean that if the first hit is knocked back beyond melee range the rest of the attacks fail?

1 answer to this question

1. I’m going to rephrase this question to make it more broadly applicable:

Q:  All characters who are Desolidified have to define the special effects of a reasonably common group of attacks that can still hurt him despite his intangibility. If a Desolidified character has Absorption that can Absorb from that reasonably common group of attacks, does the Absorption still work?

A:  No, unless it’s bought with the Affects Physical World (+2) Advantage.

2A.  Restating for general clarity*:

Q:  Suppose an attacker Grabs a character who has a Damage Shield, and the Damage Shield causes the Grabber to suffer Knockback. What happens?

A:  See 6E2 67 for rules regarding the interaction of Grab and Knockback.

2B.  Restating for general clarity*:

Q:  Suppose an attacker makes a Multiple Attack against a character. Due to some reason — such as the target having a Damage Shield or a Triggered counterattack — one of the attacks in the sequence causes the attacker to suffer Knockback. Does that prevent him from making any further attacks in the sequence?

A:  That is up to the GM. Typically the answer is “No,” since combat is a dynamic situation that doesn’t take place in precisely-ordered progressions of action (though for game purposes we have to more or less model it that way). The GM is, however, free to end the Multiple Attack, increase the OCV penalty the attacker suffers for any remaining attacks in the sequence, or impose whatever other restriction he deems likely. For example, if the Multiple Attack consists entire of HTH attacks, and the first one results in the attacker being Knocked Back several meters, I bet most GMs (including me) would rule that the Knockback ends the sequence of attacks.

*:  Just to be clear (ha, ha), I’m not saying your answers are badly written or that I can’t understand them in this case. I just want to phrase the question and answer in a way that will be easiest for players to understand, and to apply in various situations. Also it makes it easier for me if I ever need to put a FAQ ruling in a book.