Cinematic Stunts for FH

GrooveD70

I am playing in a new Fantasy Hero campaign and am playing a swashbuckling duelist sort of character. I would like him to be able to do kewl wild and wooly cinematic stunts by constructing them in the same way you would a superpower. I have had some of my own ideas and am inspired by the material in ninja hero. I was wondering what ideas any of you have had? If you have any of your own examples and you think they would fit in a FH game, could you share? Im looking for powers in the 20-60 Active Point range.

Some of my favourites:

Entangle with the Weapon of Opportunity limitation. You can trap your opponents in a falling chandelier, roll them up in a rug, throw your cloak at them, or pin them to the wall with a dagger through their shirt etc.

Another classic with the Weapon of Opportunity lim is Flash vs sight. Pull your opponent's hat on his eyes, throw sand (less than heroic though), etc.

Cutting away armor by aiming at the straps. Can be done in a variety of ways, including Transform and HKA only vs armor foci.

And while you're at it, Cosmetically Transform his clothes to slash your signature on them, Zorro style! Makes for great Presence attacks. :D

A small OCV bonus, only on higher ground. Everybody should have that in a swashbuckling campaign. Rest assured, a fight that starts in a basement is going to end on the roof!

Swinging. 'Nuff said.

These aren't the sorts of thing I would normally require a player to buy, since they're extremely situational, but:

- extra Running, defined as sliding on a banister/shield/bar of soap/what-have-you, rolling on or in a barrel, etc.

- Naked Ranged Advantage for HKA, for throwing rapiers and whatnot

- TK, for tossing things at bad guys to conveniently knock them off ledges and such (possibly even AE: 1 Hex)

- AE: 1 Hex EB+Entangle (both at fairly low levels), dropped table/doorway/curtain/chandelier/snow drift/etc.

- certainly Swinging, plus extra vertical Swinging for riding up on a rope with a counterweight, or sliding down a sail/curtain/tapestry using a dagger to slow the descent

- Flash v.s. Sight for fighting with a lantern or torch

- Naked AE:1 Hex Advantage for HKA, for fighting many foes simultaneously without penalty

- Naked Invisible Advantage for HKA, to slice candles and guards without the tops falling off ;)

-AA

I agree austenandrews those aren't the sorts of thing I would normally require a player to buy either.

Why not just purchase some odd WFs (played with a young lady that used only kitchen tools) and a few PSL to duplicate the manuevers. Buy Acrobatics to 16-, a few different Environmental Movements, and some skill levels (or the Skill Master talent from FH pg 107).

Bruce

Kind of an odd thought but what about using the Power Skill naked? Call it Power Skill: Swashbuckling. Buy it up to some high level and allow the character to roll against it for the various swinging, curtain wrapping, banister sliding tricks. You could also have a Power Skill: Fencing for various sword tricks, ala putting out candles. As long as the effects are fairly minor like a ±1 to OCV/DCV or a 1d6 Flash or Entagle, I don't think it would be unbalancing. Normally you have to have a power to purchase a power skill. But in this case I would allow it. It would sure look cleaner on a character sheet than Entagle, Transform, Flash, Swinging, Running, multiple naked advantages, etc.

Thanx!

Thanx for all of your great ideas! I too like the open ended approach so that you could use skills rolls to improvize stunts. But would also like to have some clearly defined abilties in place as well. For example, if I wanted to move at full combat spd balancing on a stair banister while fighting 3 incompetent mooks and I miss my skill roll ,the stunt or scene is ruined. But if I have clinging or flight with the appropriate limitations he can just do it and the conditions are clearly defined. I'll probably use a combination of the two approaches with my GM's approval. Thanx Again!