Non-Ranged, non-martial equivalent of optional Strafe maneuver

Surrealone

Alright, time to put this to the hive mind because I can't seem to find it on my own:

Strafe lets someone shoot on the move (a full move) to simulate running/gunning action.  Well, let's say I want to simulate running/gunning action with someone using a non-ranged power ... like Aid.  (i.e. Someone buffs himself on the move -- a fairly common trope.)  Do we have a freebie (i.e. non-martial, non-triggered) maneuver for that which permits a full move plus an attack action ... like we do with Strafe?  (And if not, why not?)

I'm coming up with zilch ... and think I see a bit of bias toward ranged attack actions, here ... but figured I'd check with a larger group, first.

Well, Strafe is literally "Move By for Ranged Attacks". I don't think you'll find a cleaner example.

The alternative would be to allow using a non-ranged self-power with Strafe instead. Since there's not usually an attack roll, and both moves give DCV -2 and require a movement plot, you may as well use Move By.

And as a point... the extra damage done by a Move By is the relative velocity difference. Since you're targeting yourself, this will always be zero. If that makes you feel any better.

If your Aid was Ranged, there is no doubt that you could use Strafe to target yourself, for a -2 DCV penalty. I think it's fair to extend the "Move By/Strafe" rule to cover a self-only power that needs a half phase action. 

Per CC 51, using Aid on another is an Attack Action. Therefore you may perform a Move-By Aid on another; forgoing the Attack roll per CC 51 if the Target is willing, and ignoring any Damage Classes added by the maneuver. Since Aid doesn't cause Damage, they do not apply. So basically, you can do it with just a -2 DCV penalty if they are willing, or a -2 OCV, -2 DCV if they aren't.

If you make your Aid a Ranged power, you can use Strafe, but the OCV modifier for doing so is variable, so it could be higher or lower depending upon circumstances.

Per CC 41 (and not contradicted anywhere I've found), using Aid on yourself is a Zero-Phase Action which could be performed during a normal Full-Move (with no special maneuvers or penalties required). The same is true of any power doesn't require an Attack roll, such as Resistant Protection or Desolidification.

Cantriped,

Aid is an Attack. Per 6e1 p167:
"To use Aid, the character must first succeed with an Attack Roll. (If the target’s willing to be affected by the Aid, including when the character uses his Aid on himself, the Attack Roll succeeds automatically, but the character still has to use an Attack Action.)"

CC covers this, too -- specifically on CC p51:

"Using Aid counts as an Attack Action, and requires an Attack Roll unless used on himself or a willing target."

Given that Aid is No Range (by default) and requires an Attack Action, I think you've both convinced me that Move-By makes sense for use of Aid on others.  What about on self: same deal????

39 minutes ago, Surrealone said:

Cantriped,

Aid is an Attack. Per 6e1 p167:
"To use Aid, the character must first succeed with an Attack Roll. (If the target’s willing to be affected by the Aid, including when the character uses his Aid on himself, the Attack Roll succeeds automatically, but the character still has to use an Attack Action.)"

CC covers this, too -- specifically on CC p51:

"Using Aid counts as an Attack Action, and requires an Attack Roll unless used on himself or a willing target."

Given that Aid is No Range (by default) and requires an Attack Action, I think you've both convinced me that Move-By makes sense for use of Aid on others.  What about on self: same deal????

You are correct, my bad. I misread that sentence. Normally a power only requires an attack action if make an attack roll, but the wording in CC makes it clear enough that Aid is an Attack Action regardless of whether or not it requires an Attack Roll (and this is supported by the language defining Attack Actions).

So accounting for that correction, you would have to use Move-By to activate Aid during a Full Move regardless of whom you target (and therefore suffer the -2 OCV & DCV penalties that entails); however if you target yourself or a willing target with that Aid, the attack roll is waived per the description of Aid (effectively reducing the penalties to just -2 DCV).