Sanity check please?

Catseye

Hey Guys,I'm working on my psuedo-class system for my setting. The first part of it is stat maximums. Basically they primary stat maximum have to all add up to 135. The secondaries are figured from the primaries.I'd like a sanity check on some initial results. Some things in this are specific to my setting (like the Religion skill priests use to cast is based on EGO. The Performance skill bards use to cast is based on PRE.) But in general how do these look to others. Reasonable for a psuedo-class based world where people have very different abilities according to their areas of training?

></pre>
<table frame="lhs" cellspacing="0" rules="groups" border="1">
			NCM			Normal Man			Hvy Fighter			Martial Fighter			Swashbuckler			Paladin			Cleric			Wizard			Thief			Bard			

Max STR			20			15			20			15			15			20			15			15			15			15			15			20		Max DEX			20			15			15			20			20			15			15			15			20			15			15			20		Max CON			20			15			20			20			15			15			15			20			15			15			15			20		Max BODY			20			15			20			20			15			20			20			15			15			15			15			20		Max INT			20			15			15			15			15			15			15			20			20			20			15			20		Max EGO			20			15			15			15			15			15			20			20			15			15			15			20		Max PRE			20			15			15			15			20			20			20			15			15			20			15			20		Max COM			20			15			15			15			20			15			15			15			20			20			15			20		Max Total			160			120			135			135			135			135			135			135			135			135			120			8		Max PD			8			6			8			6			6			8			6			6			6			6			6			4		Max ED			8			6			8			8			6			6			6			8			6			6			6			10		Max SPD			4			3			3			4			4			3			3			3			4			3			3			50		Max REC			10			8			10			9			8			9			8			9			8			8			8			50		Max END			50			38			50			50			38			38			38			50			38			38			38			
		Max STUN			50			38			50			47			38			47			44			41			38			38			38			
		</t

Blink Blink.

I think there is more behind this than meets the eye.

ermmmm sure evrything adds up to 135 but not in cost values.

I think I would also like a few answers on why a Heavy fighter gets up to 8 ED while a Priest (who would in "arcane dules" possibly need that also) only gets 6.

I'm not sure why the PRE& or EGO is limited.

by the time you have been running into the more dangerous things (like Ogres) you have most likely seen and faced so much more than the likely average fighter that PRE attacks should be much less likely to affect you. (kind of like the "yelling scenes" in The Mummy).

Hmmm, there may be some fundamental camapign design issues that we may have as far as differences in suggestd character design that may influence things.

also keep in mind that at the imaginary number of 135 you are only 15 points above the "normal man" a better halfway point might be 160-120=40/2=20+120=140 if that is what you are looking for.

another question should be how hard of a cap is this? is it the standard regular cost up to NCM then x2 for past that or is there something else in the works?

I guess I didn't explain this well enough sorry.... I'll try to clarify.

ermmmm sure evrything adds up to 135 but not in cost values.

Yes, cost values aren't relevent here. This isn't stats, just alternate NCM maximums. In FH Steve suggests that you can differentiate character types for the kind of archetype based world I'm going for by varying stat maximums.

His suggestion is that for every-one you increase, you decrease another an equal amount to preserve balance.

I've just taken that a step further in formalization by totaling them all and having them all have to reach a set value. It amounts to the same thing.

The NCM coloum is there to show that, for the traditional values, the stat forumlae "work". The "normal" column is a normal in this archetypal world. Someone who doesn't have special potential coupled to special training.

I think I would also like a few answers on why a Heavy fighter gets up to 8 ED while a Priest (who would in "arcane dules" possibly need that also) only gets 6.

Well literally because a heavy fighter's STR max is 20 while a Cleric's

is 15. What that "means" in ths=is world is that a heavy fighter does more straight strength training then a Cleric who has a lot of other things to spend his/her training time on.

I'm not sure why the PRE& or EGO is limited.

You're viewing that the wrong way. 15 is "normal". Again the heavy fighter is not chosen for his or her profession because of outstanding potential in PRE or EGO, nor do they specifically train in those areas.

You kinda needs to get the "goal" of the system straight i guess for this to make sense and I didn't do a good job of explaining that, sorry.

by the time you have been running into the more dangerous things (like Ogres) you have most likely seen and faced so much more than the likely average fighter that PRE attacks should be much less likely to affect you.

[/quotes]

And as the GM I'd say thats what PRE defenense is for and you should buy some with your exp :)

also keep in mind that at the imaginary number of 135 you are only 15 points above the "normal man"

Hmm. as you say, thats NOT characteristic points which might be (will be) much higher so i think its deceptive.

I look at it this way 100-125 pt characters (which is what I expect these players to start at) seldom have more then 3 stats above an 18. Given that, I actually think its oorbably "generous" when looked at in that fashion.

I dunno it feels right to me but thats why I'm asking for other opinions too so thanks :)

another question should be how hard of a cap is this? is it the standard regular cost up to NCM then x2 for past that or is there something else in the works?

Costx2, with the additional small qualifier of GM's consent. For instance I'm a lot mroe likely to be willing to see a heavy fighter go to STR22 then a Wizard go to STR 19. I'm a REAL bugger when it comes to DEX and Speed because I've seen that abused in FH games in the past...

Pre and or Ego are kinda big issues with me.

Having dealt with Sargents as well as other considerations having a high Pre allowable to all classes especially when they might be facing some of the higher things in High magic campaigns is a consideration.

here for example: Officers though typically trained as whatever their base is would still need a high Pre, just to avoid a potential stumble in a situation involving uppper officers as well as enemy prisoners. Also to get things through thick headed recruits, and not blanching from situations wherein a single commander going with his gut can save the day. Pre helps officers hold fast and if the officers crumple so does your army.

Wizards will need it for dealing with pesky Deamons (Summons etc..) Thieves will need it for guild master status ( or at least holding their own with others of their ilk as well as merchants and guardsmen)

Essentially though you may be right, IMNSHO Pre becomes more valuable to all the classes especially after the campaign is underway. Most people in the beginning keep their Pre to a minimum, but after a while the multifaceteedness of the attribute really comes out.

By limiting the other classes you are essentially suggesting that though a marginal possibility a Priest or Bard with a decent roll can cow battle hardened warriors. People like guardsmen are often trained to at least hold their own under many types of fire. Verbal as well as phisical.

Well you need to distinguish between the ability to frazzle others and the ability to avoid being frazzled.

The first is PRE, the second is PRE Defense.

Most fighters don't really have the former to a huge or unnatural degree. The exception might be drill sergeants. To my mind a Drill Sergeant would be a different "class."

These aren't intended to be all allowable classes, merely a starting set representative of the typical simplistic fantasy archetypes.

The idea actually is that the class list will grow as the players come up with other ideas of archetypes. Such growth though is throttled by some "class design" meta-rules and the fact that only the GM can design or approve classes for his/her game.

The whole point here IS to force some arbitrary distinctions between classes to prevent the "swiss army knife" phenomenon I've seen in FH games in the past where all characters grow to the same end point-- being equally good in all game situations.

I prefer a game where players abilities are more limited and they have to rely more on their fellow party members. Personal preference thing.