Aoe and selective targets.

Sphynx King

Question

Can you multi attack aoe that has selective targets. I came across a situation last night were a character has earth powers shooting two columns at two targets. He rolled to hit his target hexes then rolled each target twice. First attack was normal ocv and the other 3 attacks was -6. He cast his two aoe on two different hexes giving him two separate attacks on each targets. I was wondering if this is correct or does he get a -2 for the 2nd hex then instead of -6 its -8 total for the 3 other attacks? I was wondering how it would work if even you could multi attack a aoe with selective targeting. Sorry I am new to 6th edition but been fan of champions for long time. 

1 answer to this question

I’m not sure I understand your question, so I’m going to re-state it. If I get it wrong, please PM me or post a follow-up to tell me where I made a mistake, and I’ll give it another try. ;)

Q:  Can a character perform a Multiple Attack with an attack that has the Area Of Effect Advantage (or otherwise somehow affects an Area)? If that’s not allowed under the rules for an ordinary Area Of Effect, would it be allowed if the Area Of Effect were Selective?

A:  A character can make a Multiple Attack with an attack that has the Area Of Effect Advantage (or affects an Area for some other reason, such as the Power Darkness). He suffers the standard OCV/DCV penalties for doing so (though since an Area-affecting power targets DCV 3, he’s still got a good chance to hit his target point with at least the first one or two attacks). The Area Of Effect doesn’t have to be Selective, but of course that would help him avoid hitting his allies.

Example:  Firemaster wants to use his Fireball attack (RKA 3d6, Area Of Effect (8m Radius)) against two targets who are 6m apart. He wants to shoot four Fireballs, two at each target — and since the targets are within 8m of each other, they will each be affected by all of the attacks that hit (assuming the Knockback from one of the attacks doesn’t separate them by more than 8m).

Because he’s using a Multiple Attack, Firemaster is at ½ DCV. Because he’s shooting four attacks, all four will be at -6 OCV. He hits with the first three, but misses with the fourth. (Technically the GM should use the rules on 6E2 40 to determine where the missed Area-affecting attack hits, but we’ll skip that to save time in this example.) Now Firemaster gets to roll damage for the three attacks that hit. (Again, I’m skipping that since it’s not really relevant to your question, AFAICT.)