Recreating "Tough Skin" (resistance on existing PD/ED stats) in Hero Designer 6e

Thump92

I am stuck on how to do this in Hero Designer for 6e. I have read and re-read the documentation, done all sorts of searches in these forums and elsewhere. I think I'm close to the solution, but am not sure. I'm very new to Hero Designer and back to using Hero System after a 25 year hiatus.

In the Bestiary, you can find lots of examples of critters with Tough Skin powers -- basically, the old Damage Resistance on some of their existing PD/ED.  If the critter has 10 PD and 10 ED and they buy 6 resistant of each, it comes out as 6 points and the critter ends up 10/r6 with both PD and ED.  So now I'm wanting to do something like that for a character in Hero Designer.

During Characteristics, I plunked 18 points in both PD and ED so this character has got 20 of each. I want to make 10 of that 20 resistant, so he'll end up 20/r10 PD and 20/r10 ED. I'll call it Tough Skin and I'll expect it to cost 10 points and use the Resistant advantage on the existing PD and ED. I do not want to add more PD and ED, just make some of the normal PD and ED resistant.

I've tried Naked Advantage and applying the Resistant advantage to that as a Naked Modifier.

Untitled.png.0baa83f0e51a7779104bb466cf813f4e.png   Is this what I needed to do? Is there a way to get the resistant PD/ED to show up on in Characteristics? Am I halfway there and missing a step? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Thump92

Thank you for your swift reply. I did try that before going to the Naked Advantage, but was having trouble getting the numbers and cost to line up. That's why I thought maybe I'm supposed to be using a Naked Advantage on the PD instead.

I went back and followed your steps. If I apply Resistant to the PD, it wants to make all 20 of it resistant, not just 10. What am I missing to say "Hey, just 10 of that PD should be resistant"?

If I later add another +3 PD due to Large Size, I don't want the resistant PD to go up, either.  Again, thanks in advance!

Untitled.png.b50c5aa33c36dbba481dbcd0eb3e12bc.png

Untitled2.png.3e0d6994b38a40b34c7a96e41976fcee.png

Oh, if you only want a portion of it to be Resistant you can't use that "Add Modifiers to Base Characteristic" -- that'll apply to the entirety of the base PD/ED.

Easiest is to leave the PD/ED at 10 on the Characteristics tab and then purchase +10 on the Powers tab with Resistant applied.

I'll try that now.

Bingo, perfect. Now I can add more normal PD/ED without affecting the resistant one. Looking at it now, the solution was pretty obvious, but I was determined (I guess) to make it harder than it was.

Thanks for your patient help! I do really like the program; it's well worth the $25. It's trying hard to help me learn it. :)