Follow up to Follow Up

Marcus

Question

I would like to apply in advance for the long-windedness, but as I was apparently unclear earlier and as the subject of Adjustment Powers increasing themselves is a confusing one, it seemed best.

In your earlier reply, you stated that any aid was by definition finite, due to the fact that there was no advantage to represent the lack of a limit (if I understood correctly).

This is actually not entirely true... let us hypothesize:

3d6+1 Aid, +1 Maximum Effect (20 Total) 1/2 to STR, 1/2 to Increased Maximum Effect, Standard Effect (To make the math easier).

SPD 4 Character:

Segment 3: +5 STR, +5 Points to Maximum Effect of Aid (Maximum Effect is now 30, 10 of which has been rolled)

Segment 6: +5 STR, +5 Points to Maximum Effect of Aid (Maximum Effect is now 40, 20 of which has been rolled)

Segment 9: Repeat

Segment 12: Repeat (Running Total+20 Character Points of STR, +20 Character Points of Maximum Effect on Aid, increasing the maximum effect by 40).

Post Seg 12: -5 Character Points of STR, -5 Character Points of Maximum Effect on Aid.

Because half the points of the aid go to increase the maximum possible effect of the aid, and because thats a 2:1 Ratio, the size of the AID is fixed in terms of dice, but the maximum increases without limit. Insert Icon for STOP sign here.

It is this principle that the Attack Nanobots of Terran Empire (and, back in 4th ed, the Thanatic Rod of Mystic Masters) use or attempt to use to build powers that grow without limit (the Attack Nanobots by an attached aid, the Thanatic Rod by being a Transfer to Transfer).

By your ruling that the 'Increased Maximum Effect' Adder for Adjustment Powers must take whatever advantage that the base Adjustment Power takes (which is imminently logical), you prevents any of the above style of construct from working when they carry +1 or greater advantages (as at +1 or greater, it takes at LEAST as many points to increase the maximum effect as one gets out of that increased maximum effect.. thus you have zero or negative return on that investment).

The ruling is logical, and was my original assumption, save inasmuch as at least one published power in 5th ed cannot work under that logical ruling.

For purposes of my own 'vision' of the Hero System, and after some discussion with my fellow players, we have decided that the truest way to represent powers that are intended to 'grow' slowly to some devestating final extent are best reflected by purchasing their 'full extent' and then limiting them down. An example of this would be to buy the planet-eating Attack Nanobots with enough megaarea to cover the planet, and then limit the Megaarea to reflect the fact that the power initially has much smaller coverage.

PS: Hows your bout with the Mongolian Death Flu going? Its been pretty harsh around here...

1 answer to this question