Building a Slayers grimoire and campaign

Michael Hopcroft

I'm thinking of running an online Slayers HERO game at HERO Central (just discoevered the site and it looks really cool -- wish I knew how to dveelop a site like that to run PBEM games of the Seraphim Guard line!) and I just realzied that before I seek out players I am going to need some help developing the grimoire. Slayers has a set list of spells that are commonly used in the series, with some impromptu magical effects, and I'd like my players to be able to choose from the established spelllist in addition to creating their own spells.

I'm also trying to decide on the power level. Unless i simply want to use characters from the series, which would limit the size and scopr of the campaign (the series is very much the story of a core group of four to six characters, all of whom are fairly powerful mages or warriors), I'm wondering whether 75+75 characters with a x5 magic modifier would be able to do such essential things as be able to plow through entire gangs of bandits unaided (bandits are a minor distraction inSlayers compared to dragons, Mazoku and powerful rival mages but they are a good source of petty cash). But I was wondering if I should open the floor to original PCs and, if so, how they should be constructed.

what I was wondering is if I could get some advice on these questions from the experts on his board (such as Susano). One thing to note about a Slayers campaign is that PCs might have access to magic powerful enough that would not be availabel to PCs in most fantasy camapigns -- Dragon Slave is a well-known enough spell that even a "third-rate" sorceror like Zolf can learn it (although he does not exercise good judgement on when to cast it, and it costs him his life).

It would also help if anyone knew of a good system to trnalsate BESM Tri-Stat ifnroamtion to HERO so I can model the series characters (at least from the first season) and the spells baed on information from the first GoG sourcebook (which has flaws but is a valuable resource).