Regarding sign language...

John T

Question

How would you set up the skill for knowldge of Braille? I'm working on a blind character that would know this...

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. For Braille and ASL and such, which are alternate ways to communicate with languages one already knows, a character should spend 1 Character Point for Literacy (Braille) or Literacy (ASL), or the like. That allows the character to use that method of communication with any Language he knows.

A more real-world approach to the question of sign languages would probably be to treat them as having a 2-point similarity with their associated spoken languages; close enough to get a cost discount, but not close enough for an untrained person to "pidgin-out" what's being said. Quite apart from the difference in senses used (sight vs. sound), there are also significant differences in syntax.

Braille, on the other hand, IS just another form of literacy with a known language.

John T

I'm not making this up. I'm married to a Linguistics Major / Graduate ASL Master. :)

1 answer to this question