Does Imparment Stack

Guest Spotkeel

I just looked again at the rules (4th Ed) and it isnt actually clear if the damage for an impairment/disablement has to come from all one blow or not.

The way I would play it in a fantasy setting would be that only single blows can cause impairments/disablings, and two impairments to the same location causes a temporary disablement (whereas a single large blow that disables the location tends to cause a permanent disablement)

Haven't really looked at it, but to me it would make sense that it does - if you have an injured arm and leg, you'd be worse off than if you had an injured leg alone. Looking at the charts on 278-9, most of the impairment and disabling effects cover different things (OCV, DCV, etc), so I'd go ahead and stack them together.

edited after reading the first response, done while I was looking up the pages. I was going to agree on not letting them stack, but unless your doing called shots, the chance of doing full body damage in one location in one shot is probably slim (given defenses, etc)( although I have not worked it out). I think that, if the hits are all in one location, an impairment might become a disabling injury. I'd look at what caused the hit(s) before making a call though - a target hit in the arm twice for the characters whole body, done by a sword and mace, would probably be impaired. If they were done by the same weapon, I'd probably go with the disabling.

Ah, that kind of impariment would definitely stack.

I was thinking that the question was, if one takes 2 impairments to the same location, does the impariment penalty double? Ie, if the penalty for an impared sword hand is -3 OCV, does a second impairment to the same hand take it to -6OCV?

Originally posted by Outsider

Ah, that kind of impariment would definitely stack.

I was thinking that the question was, if one takes 2 impairments to the same location, does the impariment penalty double? Ie, if the penalty for an impared sword hand is -3 OCV, does a second impairment to the same hand take it to -6OCV?

That shouldn't occur - since an impairment is more than half but less than all your Body. Two impairments in the same location, the character is dying. That's why I figured, if the weapon is the same one (the same type of damage), the effect might be a disabling injury if his life is saved. I see the impairment as an injury that can be recovered from, a disabling wound is a major injury that will heal after a long time (or with magic).