Cosmically Taking Over?

t-bear

Trying to design a character, thought I'd look to the boards for advice.

He's a cosmic energy character, his main powers being built into a Cosmic VPP. The idea of what I want to do, is make him a body snatcher, which I wanted to do in 2 parts.

1.) He transmits cosmic energy into the character. This is a major transform (8d6).

2.) He transfers his "being" into the new body.

Then he'd go off into hiding, his old body rot, and his new body "resting" up to regain it's strength and get stronger with this new cosmic energy.

Anyway, my question was, suggestions on the second power? Should it be a transfer? Another transform? Maybe some kind of "permanent" mind control? My original thought had been to build it as another major transformation...

Does it kill the old body when he leaves?

If not or if the old body is revived does the old body keep the power?

If the new body is transformed but your guy doesn't take over does it get to keep the power too?

Does each body have the stame stats or do you say, keep the physical stats of the body you occupy?

An easy way to do this mechanically would be via multiform.

Or you could simply do both steps in a single large transform of the target with a lethal side effect.

I would avoid mind control for this effect as it would have to be huge to work.

Yeah I was thinking the same on the mind control.

The way it works is that the second part, where he transfers over, the other body (old body) does, in fact, die. Basically he's a collection of cosmic particles that moves from host body to host body, eating up the old bodies and moving on when they're gone.

Right now I have it built as two major transformations with the second power linked to the first.

This might have fit well as an example under the things hard to do in HERO...it's always a bit tricky when you have that "move my soul by posession" but really, at its core, it's just tricky because the SFX can be so varied and it requires a LOT of thought. I'd answer Vanderbilt_Grad's questions to assure you have the idea correct.

With NPCs, I feel it's best to just plot-device it and not write it on in HERO terms. But if you need/want to, Transform is probably a good catch-all. The thing that will drive it largely is how it gets "untransformed", how could the character get driven out? That may move you more towards Mind Control or a mental Entangle depending.

EDIT/PS - I would add that also it might be best if the guy taken over is really dead, and you can't be driven out, to redefine this as simply Resurrection, depending on a Focus to get there but NOT to remain in that new state

It's very much a GM plot device, just wanted to have some game mechanics to go along with it.

It's important that the person not be dead until he actually succesfully transfers over.

I think I've got something built that will work, well enough anyway.

Thanks for your input guys =)

Originally posted by t-bear

It's very much a GM plot device, just wanted to have some game mechanics to go along with it.

It's important that the person not be dead until he actually succesfully transfers over.

I think I've got something built that will work, well enough anyway.

Thanks for your input guys =)

Are you staying with the 2 Transforms or did you change it? Just curious.

If you stayed with the Transform, what is the "undo" method for the 2nd Transform?

Doing the double major transformation thing

unfortunatly it's built wonky in that there really is no heal back attribute of the second power.

Reason being that the villian is never supposed to get it off, he's supposed to be stopped before he does it anyway =)

Originally posted by t-bear

Doing the double major transformation thing

unfortunatly it's built wonky in that there really is no heal back attribute of the second power.

Reason being that the villian is never supposed to get it off, he's supposed to be stopped before he does it anyway =)

I would think some sort of spell along the lines of exorcism would do the trick, but was wondering, and it's your plot/game/campaign, so not suggesting you need to make/allow such a possibility.