Tunnelling

Just Joe

Question

I have two kinds of questions about tunnelling. Both relate to the filling in adder in some way.

1. In principle, I can think of three ways a tunnelling power could be set up, and I believe that the rules should allow for all three:

a. tunnel cannot be filled in,

b. tunnel fills in,

c. character chooses when using the power whether or not to fill in.

Without the filling in adder, the power is of type a. With the adder, I believe it is of type b. Is there a way to buy type c? Or, if I am mistaken about the adder, then is there a way to buy type b?

2. If a tunnel is not filled in, then someone can follow behind the tunneller. If the tunnel is being filled in, can someone follow immediately behind before it is filled in? "The Spell of Easy Passage" on p. 55 of FHG seems to say they can, but I found nothing in the main rule book that said so.

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

As stated in the text of the Fill In Adder, a character “can” fill in the tunnel behind him — he’s not required to, but may choose to do so. To build a form of Tunneling where the character must fill in the tunnel behind him, the character should buy Fill In and apply a Limitation, Fill In Always Occurs (-0).

If a tunnel is being Filled In, the filling in occurs automatically as the character tunnels. Other persons can, with his permission, follow him and use the tunnel as well, but they must remain in the same hex as him (unless the GM permits otherwise in the interest of common sense and dramatic sense). A character cannot follow the Tunneling character against the Tunneling character’s will; if that’s attempted, the tunnel simply closes on the hapless follower (and the GM can determine the effects of that as he sees fit :) ).