Marvel's Ultimate Universe: Beast

Allandrel

Standard Opening: I’m preparing to run a game set in Marvel’s Ultimate Universe. I’ve been roleplaying for ten years, but I’m new to the Hero System. To help prepare for my game, and more importantly to help learn the ins and outs of the system, I’m statting up the entire Ultimate Universe. What I’m looking for here is feedback and suggestions on how to get the effects I want using the Hero system, rather than precisely replicating the abilities of the characters (though I’d like to do that, too).

(In addition, whenever I lack information about a character’s abilities, I’m going to fall back on the assumption that they’re pretty much the same as their Marvel Universe counterpart.)

Regarding point ranges: I’m building Beast as a Standard Superheroic character. For my Ultimate Universe, Legendary Primary Characteristics go from 18-25, with 26+ as superhuman.

The following Profile represents Beast when the X-Men leave on their world tour, prior to their confrontation with Proteus (that is, issue #13).

BEAST (Henry McCoy)

STR 35 (Roll 16-, Lift 3200 kg, 7d6 damage) (25 points)

DEX 28 (Roll 15-, OCV: 9/DCV: 9) (54 points)

CON 28 (Roll 15-) (36 points)

BODY 20 (Roll 13-) (20 points)

INT 25 (Roll 14-, PER Roll 14-) (15 points)

EGO 15 (Roll 12-, ECV: 5) (10 points)

PRE 10 (Roll 11-, PRE Attack: 2d6) (0 points)

COM 6 (Roll 10-) (-2 points)

PD 10 (Total 18 PD, 10 rPD) (3 points)

ED 10 (Total 18 ED, 10 rED) (4 points)

SPD 7 (Phases: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12) (32 points)

REC 13 (0 points)

END 60 (2 points)

STUN 52 (0 points)

Total Characteristic Cost: 199

Running: 8â€/14â€*

Leaping: 12â€

Swimming: 2â€

* See Beast’s “All Fours†Power, below

POWERS

Tough: Damage Resistance 4 (2 rPD, 2 rED) (2 Active Point) (2 points)

Enhanced Senses: Tracking Smell (5 Active Points) (5 points)

Prehensile Feet: Extra Limbs (x2, Feet as Hands), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points) (6 points)

Bouncing Beast: Leaping +6â€, Accurate (11 Active Points) (11 points)

Athletic: Running +2†(4 Active Points) (4 points)

All Fours: Running +6†(12 Active Points); Conditional Power: Requires all four “hands†(-1/2) (8 points)

Super-Grip: Clinging (Normal STR) (10 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) (8 points)

Mental Defense Training: Mental Defense 10 (7 Active Points) (7 points)

X-Men Uniform: Armor 16 (8 PD, 8 ED) (24 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), OIF (-1/2) (11 points)

Total Power Cost: 62

SKILLS

+2 DCV with all Combat (10 points)

Acrobatics 15- (3 points)

Breakfall 15- (3 points)

Climbing 15- (3 points)

Computer Programming 14- (3 points)

Cramming (5 points)

Deduction 14- (3 points)

Electronics 14- (3 points)

Inventor 8- (1 point Familiarity)

KS: Mutant Affairs 11- (2 points)

KS: Mutant Powers 11- (2 points)

Language: Russian (fluent conversation); German (fluent conversation); French (fluent conversation); Japanese (fluent conversation) (English is native language) (6 points)

Martial Arts: M. Dodge, M. Strike, M. Throw (11 points)

Mechanics 14- (3 points)

Paramedics 14- (3 points)

SS: Biology 14- (2 points)

SS: Chemistry 14- (2 points)

SS: Genetics 14- (2 points)

SS: Physics 14- (2 points)

Systems Operation 14- (3 points)

Teamwork 15- (3 points)

TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft (1 point)

Scientist (3 points)

TALENTS

Ambidexterity (full) (9 points)

Lightning Calculator (3 points)

Speed Reading x10 (4 points)

PERKS

Reputation: Super Hero 11- (+2, known to the general public) (4 points)

Total Skill, Talent, and Perk Cost: 89

Total Cost: 350

DISADVANTAGES

Distinctive Features: Furry Blue Beast (Not Concealable, Major Reaction, Detectable by Sight) (20 points)

Distinctive Features: Mutant (Concealable, Major Reaction, Detectable Only by Genetic Scan or Test) (5 points)

Hunted: Hellfire Club 8- (More Pow, NCI, Beast Has Public Identity, Watched) (15 points)

Hunted: S.H.I.E.L.D. 11- (More Pow, NCI, Beast Has Public Identity, Watched) (20 points)

Physical Limitation: Grotesquely Proportioned (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) (5 points)

Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total) (20 points)

Psychological Limitation: In Love with Storm (Common, Strong) (15 points)

Psychological Limitation: Self-Loathing (Common, Strong) (15 points)

Social Limitation: Mutant (Very Frequently, Major) (20 points)

Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Major) (15 points)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Total Points: 350

Just a few thoughts-

1.) I'd think he'd have another dice or two of Prescence, possibly offensive only. He is shy at times but I'd think the fact that he is as big as he is and as obviously mutated would color peoples perception.

2.) Admittedly he doesn't use them but he seems to have claws on his 4 hands. If the situation was desperate enough he might use them.

3.) I haven't read anything with Beast and Spiderman in it but spd 7 seems too fast, super fast vs animal fast. You know the Ultimate books better than I.

Well done as were the last two.

Hmm

Looks pretty good. The only comment I'd make is that Beastie avoids getting hit much like Spider-man does (though without the spider sense obviously). I would consider adding some DCV or making a dodge shot power of some sort and add it to his defenses. Where Wolverine just takes shots beast is very good at being elsewhere when the shot falls! In combat Beast never holds still - should be VERY hard to hit.

Lower speed to 6 (save 10 Points)

Get Rid of Martial Arts (save 11 Points)

Increase Dex to 29 (3 Points)

Increase Int to 28 (3 Points)

Increase Ego to 18 (6 Points)

Increase Running to 9" (2 Points)

Add Combat Luck (6 Points)

X-Man Uniform should not have Activation Roll and should be lowered to Armor (6, 6) (Net add of 1 point, 11 to 12 Points)

I'll grant you from a Champ's perspective Hank needs those martial maneuvers for the damage, but I don't really recall them in the comics.

Originally posted by Redmenace

Just a few thoughts-

1.) I'd think he'd have another dice or two of Prescence, possibly offensive only. He is shy at times but I'd think the fact that he is as big as he is and as obviously mutated would color peoples perception.

But he doesn't make use of his appearance. He's so self-conscious of his appearance that he seems to think only of people being disgusted by him, not frightened of him.

2.) Admittedly he doesn't use them but he seems to have claws on his 4 hands. If the situation was desperate enough he might use them.

His claws are pretty small and insignificant. I don't see them being worthy of a power.

3.) I haven't read anything with Beast and Spiderman in it but spd 7 seems too fast, super fast vs animal fast. You know the Ultimate books better than I.

Well done as were the last two.

Thanks. I went with a SPD 7 as he's easily the fastest member of the X-Men. I may drop it to six when I revise him; it depends on how the rest of my Ultimate Universe writeups work out.

Patrick J McGraw

Re: Hmm

Originally posted by Kzinbane

Looks pretty good. The only comment I'd make is that Beastie avoids getting hit much like Spider-man does (though without the spider sense obviously). I would consider adding some DCV or making a dodge shot power of some sort and add it to his defenses. Where Wolverine just takes shots beast is very good at being elsewhere when the shot falls! In combat Beast never holds still - should be VERY hard to hit.

Er... I already gave him two DCV levels. With his basic DCV that gives him an 11 - higher than Wolverine when he's focused entirely on defense.

Patrick J McGraw

Originally posted by Vanderbilt_Grad

Lower speed to 6 (save 10 Points)

Get Rid of Martial Arts (save 11 Points)

Increase Dex to 29 (3 Points)

Increase Int to 28 (3 Points)

Increase Ego to 18 (6 Points)

Increase Running to 9" (2 Points)

Add Combat Luck (6 Points)

Hank's Ego isn't that high. His got serious self-esteem issues, and hasn't really developed much confidence in himself as a superhero.

X-Man Uniform should not have Activation Roll and should be lowered to Armor (6, 6) (Net add of 1 point, 11 to 12 Points)

I went with an activation roll because I'm not using hit location rules; so the costumes needed a way to represent unarmoured portions of the body. Beasts' Activation Roll is worse than Cyclops or Wolverine's because his costume covers a smaller portion of his body (his feet are bare, and his arms are HUGE). I went with an Armor value of 8 because their costumes have been shown to stop bullets cold.

I'll grant you from a Champ's perspective Hank needs those martial maneuvers for the damage, but I don't really recall them in the comics. [/b]

All of the X-Men receive extensive martial arts training and practice - much of it directly from Wolverine. Even rear-guard members like Marvel Girl and Iceman get training.

Patrick J McGraw