Hidden Equipment for Skills.

KA.

Question

Steve,

I just posted a question about the equipment needed for certain skills, and the point cost, if any.

Now I have a slightly different question.

Assuming that if you buy Lockpicking, you get a "standard" set of lockpicks for free, what about things like:

A set of lockpicks that can be hidden in the lining of a wallet

Lockpicks that can be hidden on your person (in your hair, etc.)

Lockpicks that look like something else (nail clippers, etc.)

I know that you can build something like a Lockgun that does the lockpicking for you, and put something like IPE on it, but what would be the correct way to do this with the equipment used for lockpicking?

Can you buy a "Naked Advantage: IPE" and apply it to a Skill?

That doesn't sound good, but how would you do something like this.

If you don't have a snap answer now, that is okay, but you might want to come up with an official stance for Dark Champions, or whatever will cover the Espionage genre, because things like this will be quite common.

Thanks for your help,

KA.

1 answer to this question

Generally, there’s no need to “buy” this sort of thing at all; it’s something the GM allows as part of the campaign. Such equipment may cost extra money in-game, though, since it’s usually harder to manufacture, illegal to own, or the like. If the GM absolutely insists on having characters pay Character Points for concealable/disguised standard equipment, buy it this way: Relevant Skill 8- (1 Active Point); IAF (-1/2) (total cost: 1 point). The character uses his own Skill Roll, not that of the gear; the “roll” simply indicates which Skill the equipment is intended for.