Friction powers

Kzinbane

While the Until super powers data base has a great write up on some friction control powers I wanted to take the idea a bit further. Consider a character that can affect an attacker - causeing increasingly more damage the faster the attacker is moving (consider it to be atmospheric heating). I THINK this could be run something like an entangle since the air friction would work to slow the attacker down even as he/she was moving in on the friction controlling person.

As with all HERO powers though, writing it up and spending the points is the tricky part.

Another option is a damage shield - that automatically damages anything that is moving to a minimum extent, growing in effect as the moving object (or person) increases in speed. This would obviously need extended range on it. Very large objects tossed would potentially burn up partially and still hit (a disadvantage to be sure, anything left to hit the character would be hot and potentially molten if it were metal).

Finally if it's friction control he's not going to be able to do anything VS an actual energy beam, light, etc. So missile deflection (object burns up all the way or partially depending on size) would work only on matter. I guess it could treat someone flying toward the character AS a missile.

Put on your power creation thinking caps please - some ideas on how to work the "burns up in atmosphere" part of the character are badly needed!

I don't think increasing the air-friction around a target should be bought as an Entangle. It should be bought as an attack of some kind, possibly even linked to some kind of movement Drain (better yet, Suppress). Entangles stop a character cold until they bust out - even by Casual STR. Even if the friction is raised so high that the character simply cannot muster enough force to move, they shouldn't be able to destroy the air around them to begin moving again.

Hmm, yeah - Entangle does't quite work does it. Supress may work as suggested - perhaps the number of supress dice rolled are linked to energy blast - heat somehow. Figuring out how to link the damage potentially taken directly to the velocity of the person is the tricky part.

The way I picture it is that friction lad (or whatever) really can't do too much to you 'cept maybe cause you to end up on your butt unless you move. Once you start moving he gets near automatic hits on you, doing damage at an increasing level as your velocity goes up.

Ug. This is a tricky one. Why can't I come up with characters that are simple bricks or blasters? Sigh...

Yes

I'm at work without the books, but a drain on movement - linked to damage in some way. If the target is moving 10" for example the drain takes effect - with drain points also corresponding to damage. Obviously if I roll more drain than the target has movement then he stops and does not take any excess damage.

If one looks at the basics of what exactly friction does - it serves to counter movement by absorbing movement - at some point eventually the movement energy "drain" becomes enough to manifest as heat. The power would be "simply" that the typical object moving in the atmosphere may need to go mach 5 to get heat effects, the power simply drops that down to 30 kph or something. You get considerable drag and heating effects at MUCH slower speeds than you should in other words.

Heh, get the poor guy in space and he's in trouble. Underwater though he could just about stop someone cold - the water would tend to absorb the heat (damage) but the drag would ... be a drag!

The more I think about this guy the more interesting it gets...

me and my complicated character concepts...

Hmmm... well, a simple way to do this is to link the EB and Suppress together (making them AE w/selective target) and have a limitation that says you're only allowed to do so many dice based upon their movement. A more complicated method would be to do a very small (1D6 ea) NND and Suppress AE 1 Hex, selective target. Then figure out some way to autofire it so that every hex around the target has this effect. The more hexes the target passes through, the more effect they suffer. You could also do an 1D6 RKA with extra Stun since friction can really tear things apart.

How about this... Energy Blast, Continuous, Reduced Endurance (0 END), No Knockback, Beam, with a Limitation of 'Only does damage at a rate of 1d per 1" of target movement (-2)' ? The 0 END is added because otherwise it costs a boatload of endurance to run.

Damage.........Active Cost...........Real Cost

25D.....................312....................89

20D.....................250....................71

15D.....................187....................53

10D.....................125....................36