Charges II

Hugh Neilson

Question

The question below leads to another VPP question. In my campaign, I would generally rule that, if you place a power with charges in a VPP, you can't reallocate the points once the charges are used until the charges recover. Otherwise, the limitation doesn't actually limit the character and he should instead pay +1/2 for 0 END. A guy with a 60 point VPP can just take a 12d6 Ice Blast (1 charge) for 20 points of the VPP. When this is gone, switch the points to a 12d6 Fire Blast (1 charge), and so on through various special effects. Use the remaining 40 points for other effects, and get your attacks at 0 END.

Assume that the attack was 4 charges (-1), so it cost 30 points. If the character used 2 charges, then swapped the points out, how many VPP points would be left? 45, because he used half of the 30 points in this power, or 54 because a 2 charge power (which is what's left) would cost 24 points, plus the unallocated 30?

1 answer to this question

There are rules on 5E 210 concerning Charges in VPPs. Beyond that, I think the GM simply has to apply common sense, dramatic sense, and consideration for game balance. A GM who lets a character slap "1 Charge" on every VPP power and just keep swapping from one "new" power to another is, to put it mildly, not doing that.