Knockback & Falling II

Hugh Neilson

Question

Steve, let's take an example following up on the prior post. FlyGuy is flying high in the air, not expecting any trouble. On Segment 12, Blaster zips out from behind a cloud, ambushing FlyGuy with an energy blast. He hits, rolls 35 damage.

FlyGuy was completely surprised out of combat, so damage is doubled to 70. FlyGuy has 25 ED and 30 STUN, so he's at -15 Stun. FlyGuy takes 20" knockback (it's a Double Knockback attack), but there's nothing up here for him to run into. Blaster flies off giggling to himself.

I would see this working as fllows:

Ph 12 - FlyGuy flies back 10" (we'll assume Blaster was level with him) and starts to fall. There's nothing up here for him to hit. He also falls 5".

PS 12, FlyGuy gets a recovery, so he's -5 Stun.

Ph 1: Flyguy falls another 10".

Ph 2: Flyguy has a 6 SPD. He recovers from being stunned, and falls another 15"

Ph3: Flyguy falls another 20" (50" in total so far...if he hits the ground this phase, he takes 20d6 damage, bit he's still far above the ground).

Ph4: FlyGuy can now use his flight to slow his fall, and can make a turn. He's now at 25" velocity. Assume he has 20" flight. He makes a 60 degree turn after 5" (1/5 of his move), and another 30 degree turn 5" later. He's now flying parallel to the ground (albeit almost 60" down from where he started)

I don't apply any knockback damage on the basis that FlyGuy didn't hit an object, nor did he hit the ground, since he was too high up to fall al that way. Given knockback damage is from impact with an object or scraping along the ground, would this be considered the appropriate approach?

Assuming this makes sense, it would also seem reasonable that, if FlyGuy was only a few inches off the ground (less than 5), he woud have hit the ground in Seg 12, for 10d6 (regular knockback damage for hitting the ground). If he hit in Segment 3, he would have takjen 20d6 faling damage, since gravity has taken over.

Do I sense an extensive FAQ entry coming up? Perhaps also something for FREd revised?

1 answer to this question