Selective AE and Continuous

Silbeg

Question

A character has the following power:

Energy Blast 10d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4), Continuous (+1) (150 Active Points)

1) If an opponent enters the affected hex, will the controlling character need to have an attack action (i.e, a held half-phase, or whatever) to be able to affect the character entering the AE?

I am suggesting that a better way to handle this attack would be the following:

Energy Blast 10d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (162 Active Points)

2) With this power, any character entering the hex will be affected. Would the power affect the character before or after has a chance to perform an attack (such as a move-through)?

I know that by definition continuous AE effects are stationary, though it is suggested in USPD (and CKC characters) that AE damage shields should be allowed to move with the character.

Thanks!

Silbeg....

1 answer to this question

Re: Selective AE and Continuous

If a character has a Selective Area Of Effect power that’s Constant, and someone the character wants to affect with the power enters the affected area in a Segment after the power is activated, the character has to make an Attack Roll to hit him, but this is an Action that takes no time.

I'm not going to comment on what might or might not be a "better" way to do things, since that's a pretty subjective thing. ;) However, if you went the Damage Shield route, you don't need Personal Immunity; by definition a character doesn’t take damage from his own Damage Shield. (The GM could, of course, change this if he felt PI were needed for game balance purposes or the like.)