VPP / Talent Magic System

Super Squirrel

I've been trying to design a balanced magic system for my campaign that keeps magic in check from getting out of control, but allows the players to have flexibility to do as they want.

Spells are part of a VPP. The VPP is built with either Must Have Access to Spell Formula (-1/4) or Must Have Formula Purchased to Use (-1/4).

A Spell Formula is 2 Points for Known or 1 Point for written (in an OAF)

The other catch is that spells are a tree learning base. You can't immediately summon lightning bolts or create fireballs. You have to first know the basics. If you opt for the Written format, you can use magic off of a scroll, but you cannot transfer it to your spell book until you have first mastered its basics.

For example:

To Learn Flame Arrow, you need to first know (or have access to) Magic Missile and Create Fire.

Re: VPP / Talent Magic System

I use a magic system similar to that in the game I'm starting. So far, it seems like working from a preapproved spell list keeps a VPP in check in terms of flexibility.

Depending on exactly what your game is like and exactly what the spell tree is like, you might want to consider a VPP point cap for starting characters or something like that. Right now, it looks like there's nothing stopping people from buying a 80 point VPP and enough of the magic tree to get an attack spell, then tossing around a-bombs casually like a Champions character.

If you opt for the Written format, you can use magic off of a scroll, but you cannot transfer it to your spell book until you have first mastered its basics.

I'm not following you here. Could you go into more detail about how spell books and scrolls work?

Re: VPP / Talent Magic System

I use a magic system similar to that in the game I'm starting. So far, it seems like working from a preapproved spell list keeps a VPP in check in terms of flexibility.

Depending on exactly what your game is like and exactly what the spell tree is like, you might want to consider a VPP point cap for starting characters or something like that. Right now, it looks like there's nothing stopping people from buying a 80 point VPP and enough of the magic tree to get an attack spell, then tossing around a-bombs casually like a Champions character.

Cap is 3 DC on any powers in their magic at start. I have no care if they spend every last point on the VPP and the Talens as long as no Magic Ritual does more than 3 DC at start.

I also have the rule that no characteristic or racial ability can be purchased/raised after creation. It is in their best interest to not put too many points into the VPP at creation unless the VPP is all that they are.