Battletech - Torso Twist

ghost-angel

I don't own The Ultimate Vehicle, so if this question is covered there let me know and I'll check the couch for loose change to buy it...

But, my brain seems to have locked up on me, how would one simulate a Torso Twist with mecha (or any turreted vehicle) where you have a sixty degree arc of fire but can change the facing of that arc? just special effects or is there some cool point wise way of doing this on a vehicle sheet? (I'm assuming Limited Arc of Fire, but don't know how to make that a Mobile Limited Arc of Fire... or if I even should/need to.)

The twist should allow a mech to fire in any given sixty degree arc except for a 110 degree arc to the rear of the mech (the torso itself can twist a full ninety degrees).

Re: Battletech - Torso Twist

This is one detail that was missed for TUV. If there's ever a second edition, that will likely be remedied.

If it takes a half Phase to change the facing of the turret, I'd just call it a net -1/4 Limitation; it's a slightly wider arc than the 180 degree version, but takes time to cover the whole thing so that balances. If it takes a full Phase, that's roughly the same as a person trying to turn around to do things, so it's close enough to the standard 60 degree Limitation to just call it a "special effect" thing -- or at most, a Special Effect for the Double Jointed Talent.

Re: Battletech - Torso Twist

Thanks.. both of these have merit for different types of turreted vehicles..

I'm still debating if it'll be a half phase action or not, technically you should be able to Turret Twist while moving and then firing, which makes it a 0-phase action, but the 1/2 phase action might work better mechanically...

hrm.. I think I'll use a -0 Limitation 240 degree Arc to front, 60 degress at a time to Torso mounted weapons. that way it can be a zero-phase action but requires the player state the direction of the torso.

Now .. to build Mechs.. er, first to find all my old Battletech books for reference ....