Dark Champions - To Buy or Not To Buy?

Spideyguy

All,

I'm chomping at the bit for the new Dark Champions book to come out in August, but until then, I was considering buying the older version of the book (for $8.95) from Amazon.com.

If I don't have much exposure to this genre, and want to start a campaign with it, is this version of the book a valuable tool for me, or should I just sweat it out until August?

Thanks for any insight or advice you can give me!

Re: Dark Champions - To Buy or Not To Buy?

Buying the old version certainly wouldn't hurt. The price is right.

I guess your interest would be in the type of campaign you have. Do you normally play four color campaigns, or highly law-oriented genres? If you do, this is probably not for you.

Then again, if you play with a lot of shades of grey, with a liberal amount of violence mixed in, THIS IS the supplement for you.

It's a very useful sourcebook, with some interesting ideas, for the RIGHT mindset of course.

Well DC is a BBB product, so the starting characters are 250 pts., but it's your universe, you decide what you want.

As far as powers, they are usually minor, it's a street level book, with an emphasis on guns, and equipment.

It's a good book for setting the tone of a genre, even if you have high powered supers. The attitude is what is important.............

Thanks for the great feedback so far guys! Do the Dark Champions PCs have any superhuman abilities at all' date=' or are these "Punisher" type characters? What's the average starting points for a DC character?[/quote']

Whether the characters have powers or not is up to the GM :) There's three basic types of campaign detailed: "Pure Street Level" (no powers, characters can buy normal modern-day equipment with money); "High Tech" (characters have no powers, but they can have super-level tech (powered armour, blasters, etc)); and Superheroic.

For a Superheroic or High Tech campaign, it's 250 points (100+150) for a starting character, but that was pre-5th, so that was the "standard" starting point for a superhero. Pure Street Level was 150 points (75+75)