"Instant Pentacle, Just Add Water"

Dr. Anomaly

I'm looking for suggestions on how to build a particular effect.

After a certain rather harrowing event in last night's game, my character and another PC are discussing putting together some kind of "instant pentacle" effect for on-the-spot binding of those sorts of "things" that can be bound by same.

So, the question is...how would you do this, Power-wise?

My first thought is to use Change Environment with the "Permanent" adder, to represent a pentacle actually being inscribed on the desired surface.

Other thoughts, suggestions, and discussion are most welcome. :)

Re: "Instant Pentacle, Just Add Water"

I'm looking for suggestions on how to build a particular effect.

After a certain rather harrowing event in last night's game, my character and another PC are discussing putting together some kind of "instant pentacle" effect for on-the-spot binding of those sorts of "things" that can be bound by same.

So, the question is...how would you do this, Power-wise?

My first thought is to use Change Environment with the "Permanent" adder, to represent a pentacle actually being inscribed on the desired surface.

Other thoughts, suggestions, and discussion are most welcome. :)

I'd really need to know more about how your GM is handling this sort of thing, and what you mean in terms of result for "Binding" to represent. What does it mean in terms of end result does it mean for a something to be bound?

Guest Kolava

If your binding power has a focus limitationm (pentacle), then simply buy off this limitation and say that you are able to create instant pentacles whenever you need to. If you don't have the points necisary to do this or think the end result would be too powerful, just replace focus with "extra time"

Depends on how "can be bound by same" is handled. If such creatures have a Disadvantage (perhaps a Physical Limitation or a Susceptability) about crossing such barriers, than a basic Change Environment works very well as long as it is maintained. Buying the Lasting Adder to a high level (seasons, years) would be necessary for the permanent effect you describe, wearing away naturally as time goes by.

Another possibility is to buy a Cosmetic Transform to turn the area into the same area with a pentacle inscribed in it. It would heal by normal wear and tear or deliberately scuffing the symbol.

These really only work if the monsters cooperate by taking the Disadvantages, as they do in the official publications. If they don't have such things, you'll have to use a Force Wall or some other powered way of keeping the creature from crossing, Only Against Demons perhaps being a Limitation. You could also still use Change Environment, but you'll need to add some combat effects to it (creature needs to make an EGO Roll at penalties to break in/out, see the ice slick example). Entangles also work: use it on the creature to keep it in the pentagram, use it as a wall to create a barrier to it. This doesn't have to be maintained and will have the lasting effect you want, without requiring the creature to have the Disads.

I admit I was thinking more along the lines of vs. creatures with a Disad that prevents them from leaving pentacles, though the other thoughts as well (Entangle, etc.) are interesting...probably with an "Only vs. Magically Summoned Creatures" Limitation.

Change Environment has a "permanent" adder available, which would mean the changes are permanent until something physically messes them up. This is how "Cantrips of Cleaning" and so on are usually done.

I'd really need to know more about how your GM is handling this sort of thing' date=' and what you mean in terms of result for "Binding" to represent. What does it mean in terms of end result does it mean for a something to be bound?[/quote']

Can't really say, yet, because this is the first time this sort of thing has happened. :) The characters will be doing some research and experimentation, to be sure, so I'm more "fishing for ideas" right now. :)

If your binding power has a focus limitationm (pentacle)' date=' then simply buy off this limitation and say that you are able to create instant pentacles whenever you need to. If you don't have the points necisary to do this or think the end result would be too powerful, just replace focus with "extra time"[/quote']

It will most likely be bought through a VPP, and will have plenty of limitations to cut down the cost...like Requires a Magic Roll, Gestures, Incantations, and so on. "Extra Time", though, would kinda defeat the purpose of "Instant" Pentacle. ;)

Change Environment has a "permanent" adder available' date=' which would mean the changes are permanent until something physically messes them up. This is how "Cantrips of Cleaning" and so on are usually done.[/quote']

Since the "permanent" level of Long Lasting is optional and requires GM's approval, I mentioned the more conservative approach that doesn't require it. Sorry for being unclear.

Can't really say' date=' yet, because this is the first time this sort of thing has happened. :) The characters will be doing some research and experimentation, to be sure, so I'm more "fishing for ideas" right now. :)[/quote']

Well, than I would say you should start fishing with your GM. Binding could be something that simply keeps them from acting so that Entangle or Force Wall is the way to go. Alternatively, it might be more permanent, so a Killing Attack or Major Transform is the proper method. The final version that comes to mind is a banishing option that would possible use EDM, UAA.

Since the "permanent" level of Long Lasting is optional and requires GM's approval' date=' I mentioned the more conservative approach that doesn't require it. Sorry for being unclear.[/quote']

Gotcha. I really don't think I'll have trouble getting GM permission on this one, for two main reasons:

(a) I'm co-GM of the game ( :) ) -- that's worked really well so far; and

(B) Last night was when I handed control over to the other GM after a 2.5 - month stint in the driver's seat, and what he hit us with proved to be waaaaaay overpowered...unintentionally, I'm sure. We did come out of it intact, but only just. He's feeling very sheepish and apologetic right about now. :)

For the record: this beastie (a triggered "defense demon" that was magic and reptillian genetic code mixed in with the encryption algorithm for a very sensitive database) had an insane amount of power:

A 24 point Standard Effect Always On AoE Radius Personal Immunity Suppress vs. All Magic

Takes No Stun (automaton power)

High Power Defense

50% Resistant Damage Reduction (Energy & Physical)

a 2d6 HKA NND Does Body with a linked 20 point Standard Effect CON Drain bite attack

a 50 STR

an NND Does Body electrical Damage Shield

a 4d6 Def 8 Mental Paralysis Entangle vs. Ego AoE: 1 Hex (could be avoided by making an INT check at a substantial penalty to avoid looking into its eyes)

a SPD of 6, DEX 30 and OCV/DCV of 10

I haven't seen the acutal write-up, but a quick off-the-top of my head guesstimate puts this into 4 figures, point-wise...easily.

The characters (all at around 380 points due to experience) included:

Dr. Anomaly (me) - 75 pt Gadget pool and 30 pt magic pool

Umbral - 75 pt shadow-magic pool plus lots of investigatory skills

Balrog - magical gargoyle brick

Sentinel - powered-armor wearer

When all heck broke lose, Umbral and I were trying to decrypt this database (we've been working on it, off and on, for almost 2 months game-time; it has layer after layer after layer of security and encryption) and we were alone in the computer lab. It got suprise on us, because we weren't expecting this.

The first phase, Umbral didn't make his INT check by enough, met its eyes, and got frozen.

I had just got back less than an hour before from an extended "situation" and had none of my gadgets on me. The only thing I had availabe was my magic pool...which, after 24 points of Suppress hit my 30 point pool, left me with zip for effective power after that first phase.

My second phase I dove under the table to pull the plug on the computer that it was using to manifest. For my troubles I got a hefty dose of NND electrical shock, pulled the plug, and found it had already manifested fully so pulling the plug didn't make any difference.

Balrog arrived next, started getting things drained via the Suppress, got bitten (repeatedly over several phases) and finally dropped when his CON hit zero...and at losing 10 CON a bite to a SPD 6 opponent, that doesn't take long.

Sentinel arrived (after donning his armor) and engaged the thing. It bit easily through his armor (NND Does BODY) for 11 Killing the first phase, and 10 CON down the drain.

Umbral finally manages to break out of the Entangle, but his 75 pt Magic pool is dead as a doornail due to many phases of losing 24 points per phase to Suppress vs. all Magic.

I've been working feverishly over the destroyed computer, turning it into a 6d6 Suppress vs. All Electrical Effects unit with Gadgeterring and my trusty Swiss Army knife, and finally start zapping the thing. Trouble is, even though I was rolling about 21 points of effect per hit, it had a high Power Defense and so was mostly ignoring it.

Sentinel's armor is keeping him alive and functional by pumping stimulants and rapid-healing chemicals into him, so he's continuing to use his plasma cutter and such on it. Finally he does a multiple-power attack with all of his AoE (high explosive) rounds, pumped up (boostable charges) with himself as ground zero, and manages to finish it off, because the Suppress vs. Electricity I'd been doing had finally built up enough to start eroding its defenses and Body a bit.

At the end there Sentinel was down to 4 Body and would have immediately died if he'd removed his armor (he has extra CON and BODY bought through the armor to represent it soaking up some damage that gets through the defenses. If he'd removed the armor, he'd have been at -16 Body and -7 CON.)

Umbral was largely unharmed, but powerless. Balrog was in GM's Discretion due to heavy Stun loss, not to mention Body damage and CON drain. I was nearly exhausted and badly hurt by the electrical damage.

That's why, after licking our wounds and getting treatments set up for the injured, Umbral and I are discussing "instant pentacles" for future emergancies. And why I don't think I'll have any trouble getting the other GM to approve almost anything we come up with.

Wow! rough encounter there! Are you sure your co-GM likes you ;)

As for the power: how about Images? I suppose you could built it two ways: a spell that summons a glowing pentacle, or a holographic pentacle projector. Either way, it'd be a fairly cheap power.

Wow! rough encounter there! Are you sure your co-GM likes you ;)

As for the power: how about Images? I suppose you could built it two ways: a spell that summons a glowing pentacle, or a holographic pentacle projector. Either way, it'd be a fairly cheap power.

Yeah, I'm sure he likes us just fine. ;) He just failed to consider how all that stuff stacked up together, in one beastie, would play out. He also didn't realize that Suppress was automatically cumulative...he thought he was going to be blunting spells, not draining entire VPPs flat in 3 phases. Plus he had forgotten that all I (Dr. Anomaly) had available was a 30 pt magic VPP that would be rendered useless by the first surprise phase.

I have also considered Images, and in the way you've suggested. Whatever the final process is, I'm going to write it up both ways (magic and tech)..."just in case." :)