Of Hand Attacks and Hand Killing Attacks

The Man

Question

I'm hoping this is the proper forum to post this question. If not, please direct me to the proper venue.

I know how to add the damage class of my strength to an advantaged hand attack or advantaged hand killing attack. That is clearly explained on page 272 of FRED. What I dont know is why an advantaged hand killing attack is treated differently from an advantaged hand attack. Will you please explain this?

Don't get me wrong, I play a superhero character with an advantaged hand attack (6d6 One Hex Area Effect, No END Cost, Hand Attack with a 30 STR) so I'm not complaining about the rules (and neither was my GM). When another character entered the campaign with a 4d6 NND Hand Attack, 20 STR, and martial arts (with martial strike as his only attack maneuver in the set), the GM started to question the rule (stating it was unbalancing). The player feels he is justified (by the rules) in having a 10d6 NND attack. Are we adding this incorrectly?

Thank you in advance and if this is a redundant question, I apologize.

1 answer to this question

Re: Of Hand Attacks and Hand Killing Attacks

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, this is a "design philosophy" question, not a rules question -- and for a whole variety of reasons I don't answer design philosophy questions. If you want to discuss system philosophy, I suggest posting your question in the Discussion section, where anyone who's interested in the subject can participate.