Resisting Knockback

Hugh Neilson

Question

After a quick search of the FAQ, and with no books in front of me, here come some knckback questions:

1. Bracing with STR. I know I don't spend END again for STR if I already used it. Please advise on the following:

(a) Is Brace for Impact a use of the Brace combat maneuver? ie 0 phase, but reduces DCV?

(B) I believe I must specify the direction from which the Knockback will come, so if my opponent attacks from a different angle, the Bracing for KB has no effect, correct?

2. Rooting with Flight: I know that only inches I don't use for movement that phase can be used to root, and that they cost regular END for using Flight, so that's easy.

(a) This would work even if I'm in the air, right?

(B) This is a zero phase action, correct (ie using all my flight inches to root does not equal a full move, like using them to fly)

© Do I have to specify the direction from which knockback will come?

(d) Does this cost me anything in OCV/DCV (eg. do I have to Brace)?

Thanks. Page references will be fine - I can look it up at home (or whine to someone else on the boards)

1 answer to this question

Re: Resisting Knockback

My purpose in answering questions on this board isn't to serve as a substitute for the rulebook just because you don't happen to have a copy with you. In the future, please consult the rulebook before posting questions.

1A. No. What you’re referring to is called “using STR to resist KB,” not “Brace.”

1B. See 5E 282

2A. Yes.

2B. It’s an Action that takes no time, but a character cannot in that same Phase use any inches he’s used to fly to resist KB, nor use to fly any inches he’s used to resist KB.

2C. See 5E 282

2D. See 1A.