Question about MP adding together

JmOz

Question

By the rules two MP can not affect each other.

What if the powers in question are at there base an adding power. What I mean is that the characteristics power basicaly just adds to the normal value, could you have two MP's that do that? Same I would assume applies to HA.

For instance a character has

25 Kung Fu MP

2u Way of the Knife: 1d6 HKA 0 end

2u Way of the hundred blows +2d6 HA 0 End, AF-5

2u Martial Strength +15 Str

2u Martial Strikes +3d6 HA

Character also has this MP

15 30 Staff MP (OAF):

1u Strike +4d6 HA 0 End

1u Vault +10 Leaping 0 End

Okay, there would be no problem vauilting and using the powers present in Kung Fu (except for maybe Martial Strength's extra leaping).

Could he use the staff's HA with the way of the hundred blws (I would say no, as they have different advantages)

Could he with the Martial Strength (I would say yes)

Chould he with martial strikes (I would say yes)

1 answer to this question

Re: Question about MP adding together

The rules say that two Power Frameworks or Framework slots can't add to or modify each other. That's a completely different thing from two Frameworks both having slots that add to the same game element outside the Framework (e.g., HA slots in two different Multipowers that both add to STR). There's no rule against that, though the GM may very well forbid it in the interest of game balance, common sense, and/or dramatic sense.

How the different powers are going to interact with the power they add to depends on the standard rules for adding damage and so forth. Since they can't add to or modify each other, trying to add them both to the same game element if they have different Advantages or the like doesn't work. (The same applies even if only one or neither of them is a Framework slot.) For example, if a character has two HAs, an HA +6d6 and an HA +4d6 Autofire, either of which add to his 30 STR base damage of 6d6, he's got to pick one or the other to add. He can't add both, since the Advantages differ and there's no provision in the rules for an Advantage on an ability to freely "carry over" to another ability built with that same Power when they’re used together.