Just a couple questions

Dinofreak2000

First off, because of the manner of how Hero has one purchase spells, on average how many spells does a standard character tend to have at his disposal? the purchasing i refere to is those found in Fantasy Hero. It doesn't seem like a wizard type would have more then say a dozen spells or so.

Second, as the game progresses, how does advancement tend to go? I know one can be a "santa claus" with the experience and just hand out the points, so growth is fast (or do the complete opposite), but does this mean that as you gain experience it becomes a "retooling" of the character... for example PC Wizard has this spell that he finds would be more effective if he can cast it faster... so he buys off the limit ExtraTime, now his spell is improve. Is that pretty much just how it works?

if you can see where i'm going drop me a line...

Re: Just a couple questions

A wizard type can have as many spells as he wants to pay for. (sorry it's a cop out answer I know) Generally I don't play straight DnD mages in Hero but I would allow for a 75+75 mage to have between 5-12 "proper" spells and between 4-20 "cantrips" and the like which would cover things like mending spells etc.

and your idea of game progression is pretty much right, give out EXP anyway you want. See ya.

just to touch on the second part..

As you gain XP you can "retool" the spell to buy off Limitations, unless the GM disallows this for some reason (such as requiring every Spell to need a RSR:Magic thus prevent you from buying off that limitation).

Hope that helped a bit.

It really depends on how you do the magic system.

In my game, different schools of magic use different ways to buy spells: some mages use multipowers, which means they can have many, many spells, but are somewhat limited in raw power ('cos no spells can be bigger than the reserve)

some buy spells straight (which means they normally only have a few spells, but those can include some very powerful ones)

and a few use VPPs, which means they have a huge range of spells, but usually of limited power (because of the need to buy the pool)

cheers, Mark