Recovering Aided points

tancred

Question

Looking at the FAQ in 2 different places, I've found something I don't understand.

Under Adjustment Powers, the last entry reads:

*NEW*Q: 5E 89 notes that STUN or END received from an Aid is used first, rather than the character’s normal STUN and END, and if the Aid fades before all the STUN or END is used, what was used does not come out of the character’s normal STUN or END. But if a character receives STUN or END from an Adjustment Power with a long fade rate, can he use his Recovery to regain STUN or END from the Adjustment Power after he’s used it?

For example, suppose that a character with 30 STUN receives an Aid STUN 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points fade at the rate of 5 per 6 Hours). He gets 10 STUN from the power, giving him 40 STUN. He then suffers 20 STUN damage from an attack. When he gets to take Recoveries, does he Recover only up to 30 STUN (losing the +10 from the Aid even though the 6 Hour fade rate period hasn’t yet passed), or can he Recover up to 40 STUN?

A: He can Recover up to 40 STUN. For these purposes, the GM determines what qualifies as a “long fade rate.â€

That makes perfect sense.

But then, in the Aid section, a question (the 8th entry) reads:

Q: If a character is the recipient of an Aid STUN (or END) with a long fade rate, when he loses STUN (or END), do his Recoveries taking him back up to the full amount of the Aided STUN (or END), or just his normal amount?

A: Just his normal amount.

It sure seems to me that those are contradictory. Am I reading one of those wrong, or is there actually a contradiction?

Thanks for your time, Steve.

1 answer to this question

Re: Recovering Aided points

If they are contradictory, I promise to resolve any confusion in 5ER. :hex: I think I can probably stick with the first answer, provided "long fade rate" is properly defined. The rules shouldn't cheat any character out of something he's paid for, but they shouldn't give him unfair bennies either. As long as everything's fairly defined, it at least gives people a default from which to complain/make changes/ask questions. ;)