Calculating robot/AI idea - all Overall levels

dugfromthearth

I used this for some robots in an adventure. Some where automatons some were not (better AI essentially).

They had their dex bought to 0.

For actions the relied upon overall levels. The tough ones had 20 overall levels, the lesser ones 15.

The idea was that when they did a maneuver they calculated the best way to do it - using their levels.

So if they attacked they would put 5 in DCV and 10 or 15 in OCV (depending on the type). If they defended they put all 15 or 20 in DCV.

So the could only be hit when they attacked.

They had two limitations with this.

They always announced their intentions "I will strike you down, I have 100% chance of success." "I will easily avoid your clumsy attempts to hit me." So players who caught on could figure out whether to attack or defend.

The other one, which the players didn't catch onto in my adventure, was that they used the overall levels for everything. Being standard fictional computers/AI you could ask them questions and they would try to answer them. So if asked to calculate pi they would put 5 overall levels into math until they had finished (which of course they would never do). So very clever players could bleed off overall levels into pointless skills by asking questions.

I really liked it, because it made the robots seem invincible at first. A 15 OCV is quite impressive and a 20 DCV is amazing (in my campaigns anyway). After they players figured out how to deal with it, the robots became mechanical to fight - take a recovery when it says it is defending, attack when it is attacking. And then the robots weren't so tough.