Bestiary skeletons tormenting me.

Guest Green Giant

Guest Green Giant

Perhaps I am just completely missing the obvious, but my slovenly mind is not computing the point totals on the skeleton on the 5th Bestiary page 123.

Specifically the points paid for PD/ED in the characteristics section along with the Damage Resistance and limited undead PD in the powers section of the entry. Am I just being simple? It appears that Damage resistance is paid for twice, one on the characteristic entry and again in the powers section. And where do the point costs come from for the limited PD that protects against piercing and slashing attacks?

- the confused Giant

Bet I know what it is, let me dig up the Bestiary and check...

/* checks the listing page 123

Yep. What you're missing is the "Takes No Stun" advantage. Check out the listing for that advantage on FREd pg 311

From FREd pg 311, Column A, Third paragraph under Takes No Stun header

Takes No STUN affects the automaton's defenses. Base PD and ED are divided by 3, and the cost of all additional defenses is multiplied by 3 (before applying any Advantages or Limitations).

With a 15 STR, the Skeleton "should" have 3 PD base -- however it is divided by 3 and hence only has a base PD of 1. Each additional point of PD costs 3 points. Hence, the score and cost for PD is accurate. The cost of ED is also accurate, albeit beneifting from some convenient rounding... The cost for the "Undead Body" powers are similarly accurate.

Damage Resistance's cost is also tripled by the modifier as a Defensive Power (FREd pg 77, sidebar).

Not entirely sure I get what you're asking with your last question, but I'll give it a go.

For all practical purposes, the Skeleton has a PD of 6/4/2: 6 against "piercing" attack, 4 against "slashing" attacks, and 2 against everything else. To do this, the writeup buys 2 PD with a -1/2 limitation because it only works against two damage forms: Slashing & Piercing. This value seems to follow the general assumption that there are only three "forms" of physical damage: crushing, piercing, and slashing. Since most adventurers tend toward weapons that slash or pierce, the limitation that it doesn't work against crushing damage isn't too severe -- hence the -1/2 value, roughly equivalent to a 14- activation roll. However, the final +2 only works against piercing and that leaves out a fairly broad range of weapons while still being fairly useful -- roughly equal to an 11- activation roll, and hence a -1 limitation.

Guest Green Giant

"I see said the man who picked up the hammer and saw."

Thank you for your enlightenment that you have shared with me. I knew it was something minor that I was missing. Such fine people on these boards. have a good evening folks.

-Giant