Martial Arts Question

Starhawk

Question

Steve I have a character in my game that has a multipower defined as a sword, with various powers, such as a HKA, and HTHA bonus to damage. He also has martial arts with the weapon element swords. He wants to have a power in his sword--an NND "taser" type attack that shocks the target when he touches them with the sword (its not a ranged attack). Can he use his martial arts manuvers like fast strike or martial strike with this NND attack?

1 answer to this question

That’s an issue that I’d generally say should be left to the GM to decide. Ordinarily, melee weapons that characters buy Weapons Elements with do KA or HA damage. The idea of getting a damage bonus to an NND doesn’t quite “jibe,” particularly when the special effect of the NND doesn’t involve a strike/maneuver, but a taser. While it might be acceptable to let the character use the OCV/DCV bonuses from a maneuver when he activates his sword’s taser, I suspect most GMs wouldn’t let him add to the damage.

So, in short, as a default, let's go with "can use CV modifiers, but not damage bonuses." The GM can vary from this as he sees fit, based on common sense, dramatic sense, and considerations of game balance.