What is restrainable?

Photon1966

We have a lizard man character just added to the party. He bought his 1/2d6 HKA as restrainable though the fantasy hero book doesn't give them this. He felt if he couldn't used it if he was entangled. But I felt that this was more a special effect as sometimes I can see him using the claws but say a magical goo spell spell then he couldn't swing his arms to claw just like if he had a sword. But he really felt that he should have restrainable but I felt not but just wondered how others have treated natural/innate. Just thinkiing now maybe if it was inherent. He felt his claws were just so sharp that they'd tear into an entangle unless they specifically tied him up by binding his limbs.

thanks again

Re: What is restrainable?

Restrainable means can't be used if the body part it is contained in is grabbed or entangled (for any SFX of grab or entangle). A sword is not restrainable because it is already an Accessible Focus.

I don't know exactly what a lizardman's hands look like, so I can't say for sure. Perhaps he should get a smaller -1/4 if some SFX of Grab/Entangle, but not all, would prevent him from using the claws.

In your example, a "straight" 1/2d6 HKA could be used to tear out of the goo glob, or magical chains, or being grabbed, or even being tied up. A restrainable one could not be used in any of those cases.

Re: What is restrainable?

We have a lizard man character just added to the party. He bought his 1/2d6 HKA as restrainable though the fantasy hero book doesn't give them this. He felt if he couldn't used it if he was entangled. But I felt that this was more a special effect as sometimes I can see him using the claws but say a magical goo spell spell then he couldn't swing his arms to claw just like if he had a sword. But he really felt that he should have restrainable but I felt not but just wondered how others have treated natural/innate. Just thinkiing now maybe if it was inherent. He felt his claws were just so sharp that they'd tear into an entangle unless they specifically tied him up by binding his limbs.

thanks again

It's valid to have claws built with the Restrainable limitation (in fact that's given as an example in the book) but if so those claws could not damage an entangle. That's part of what restrainable means. Check out the rules under Restrainable. If his claws can tear through an Entangle they're not restrainable.