Questions about Vibora Bay

FenrisUlf

Re: Questions about Vibora Bay

Hmm. No guarantees at this point, but I think the team included a blind precog called Dr. Oracle, a big shaggy brick with a speech impediment called Mammoth, a female teen elemental-metamorph called Copycat, a telekinetic with control issues called Maelstrom, and a spooky guy with his own pocket dimension called Enigma. At least, that's what they looked like as PCs- a lot of water'll go under the bridge before they see print. Also, they'll presumably get a bunch more history and probably a few more members- that's the '60s lineup. dw

Hmm. No guarantees at this point' date=' but I think the team included a blind precog called Dr. Oracle, a big shaggy brick with a speech impediment called Mammoth, a female teen elemental-metamorph called Copycat, a telekinetic with control issues called Maelstrom, and a spooky guy with his own pocket dimension called Enigma. At least, that's what they looked like as PCs- a lot of water'll go under the bridge before they see print. Also, they'll presumably get a bunch more history and probably a few more members- that's the '60s lineup. dw[/quote']

Have always been curious about this team myself. They felt wonderfully "Non Team Defenders" like in their description.

A couple of questions.

Are they still active in the current CU?

When I mention the Defenders am I getting the vibe for the team right or are they more Doom Patrol?

rgds

Torch

I've always thought of them as the CU version of the Doom Patrol or Silver Age X-Men- a band of freaks and outcasts gathered by a mysterious stranger to protect the world that shunned them. That's sort of the Defenders' shtick too, if you put Dr. Strange in the leadership role; the thing is, most of the Defenders are quite comfortable in their weirdness, and don't care or sometimes even notice that the world thinks they're freaks. The Outcasts all are either "monsters" or have sufficient problems controlling their powers so that they can't fit into society, something they actually want to do (as opposed to, say, Namor or the Hulk.) And many of the later Defenders can just take off their costumes and be normal people (Cage, Nighthawk, Hellcat)- they enjoy and actively seek out the weirdness.

If the CU has a Defenders-style team, it's probably somebody like the Bay Guardians (who are led by a powerful mystic) or the California Patrol (who are a loose group of "friends" who only work together when they need to.)

And no, the Outcasts are long since broken up. I personally think the passage of "real time" in the Champs Universe is one of the coolest things about it, and one of it's defining features is that characters stay in the "ages" that spawned and defined them. The Outcasts are very "late Silver Age"- probably their comic was drawn by Neal Adams. Now, a new team of Outcasts, inspired by the exploits of the old team- that's an interesting idea. Hmmm - dw

A few more team types the CU needs (or maybe we have just not seen yet) are-

A mutant Team - The IHA cry out to be opposed by an x-man team as well as an evil team of mutie villains as well.

A heroes for hire Mercenary Team - Very intresting possibilities to clash with POC's here but make them more misguided than greedy.

A legacy JSA type team of old creaking veterans - Would love to see some characters still active from the golden/silver ages form a team with some younger legacy types. would give a lovely sense of history to the CU as you mentioned Darren.

Villains Trying to go straight Thunderbolts style - That would be a blast for the PCs are they or not genuine? lol. Add in a couple of old time champs villains for maximum retro value.

A dirty dozen suicide squad team - This is really still a villain team forced to work for a secret goverment department, great stuff.

rgds

Torch

And no' date=' the Outcasts are long since broken up. I personally think the passage of "real time" in the Champs Universe is one of the coolest things about it, and one of it's defining features is that characters stay in the "ages" that spawned and defined them. The Outcasts are very "late Silver Age"- probably their comic was drawn by Neal Adams. Now, a new team of Outcasts, inspired by the exploits of the old team- that's an interesting idea. Hmmm - dw[/quote']

No complaints there. One of the best mini-series I've ever seen done was the GENERATIONS one from DC, where we see characters growing up, becoming parents, and retiring. Your ending the CU Silver Age by allowing the old heroes to die fighting against Doctor D was brilliant, if I may say that.

Getting back to Vibora Bay -- is it safe to assume that the book will cover at least some of the Queen City's current heroes? I.e., Black Mask X, Brother Thunder and Sister Rain, and of course Doctor Ka and Robert Caliburn? I get the idea that the latter is going to be the main character in the book.

Oh, and something about Ram and the bar he works as bouncer at would be nice too.