Help Me Please!!

Corven_Ren

ok heres the idea, a dwarf from a fantasy world gets sucked through a dimensional void and smack dab into a mordern day world with superheroes...my problem is how to build his warhammer. I do not have any of the books and am trying to build this character using only the demo version of Hero Designer 2..heres what I want the warhammer to include...a h-h attack obviously, but also an eb (the hammer thrown) but heres the kicker. I wan't some kind of advantage on the hammer. Kind of how Thor's hammer can only be wielded by certain people. Basically the same thing, such as can only be wielded by the pure of heat. What kind of advantage would this be +1, +2 and should the powers of the hammer be in a multipower?? And anymore abilities would you put in the hammer?

Re: Help Me Please!!

ok heres the idea' date=' a dwarf from a fantasy world gets sucked through a dimensional void and smack dab into a mordern day world with superheroes...my problem is how to build his warhammer. I do not have any of the books and am trying to build this character using only the demo version of Hero Designer 2..heres what I want the warhammer to include...a h-h attack obviously, but also an eb (the hammer thrown) but heres the kicker. I wan't some kind of advantage on the hammer. Kind of how Thor's hammer can only be wielded by certain people. Basically the same thing, such as can only be wielded by the pure of heat. What kind of advantage would this be +1, +2 and should the powers of the hammer be in a multipower?? And anymore abilities would you put in the hammer?[/quote']

Hey there, Corven, glad to help!

1) Just make it a Personal focus. That means that no one else can use it. I don't think it is an option in HD, because it is a +0 modifier, but it is valid.

Your GM should have no problem with the "pure of heart" thing. Since this basically means that people can only use it in ways that won't harm your character, it is not really a limitation.

2) Multipower is the classic way to go. Since it is an actual physical hammer you can only do one thing with it at a time. I would make the slots all "Ultra" (and set to the Base) to show this, or use the Lockout Limitation.

3) Other powers:

Missile Deflection/Reflection,

Superleap (throw it and hang on to the strap),

Almost anything else, depending on how mystical it is.

KA.

Re: Help Me Please!!

Corven,

Here is a basic example of a Multipower in a Focus.

The Personal Focus just means that your character alone can use it.

It is not considered a Limitation, because there are good and bad points to it.

You and your GM can decide the exact meaning in your campaign.

Most GM's should have no problem with "If he be worthy . . ." because it makes for good plot hooks.

The entire multipower is affected by the Focus Limitation, since all these powers come from the Hammer, and you can't use them without it.

I used the OIF (Obvious Inaccessible Focus) version of a Focus, because it is very clear that the Hammer is doing the work, but it is not that easy to just grab away in combat.

The way the multipower works is this.

You have a Reserve of 75 active points. That means that you can only have 75 Active Points worth of powers (from this multipower) going at the same time. Notice: These are ACTIVE points, not how much the slot costs you to buy, but the Active Points of the power.

For example: Energy Blast is 5 Active Points per die of damage.

A 1 d6 EB is 5 Active Points, which means you have 70 Active Points left to do other things.

A 4 d6 EB is 20 Active Points, which means you have 55 Active Points left to do other things.

A 15 d6 EB is 75 Active Points, which means that if you are using that, you cannot do anything else with the Hammer that phase.

Just think of it like Money.

The reserve is your paycheck, and the Active Points in it are how much you have to spend.

The slots have an Active Point cost, just like the price of an item in the store.

If you buy too much of one thing, you can't buy anything else.

If you buy a little, you may be able to buy a lot of things.

There are also two kinds of slots available, Ultra and Multi.

An Ultra slot is all or nothing. If you use that slot, you must use it at full power. It is like one of the big packages of paper towels you see at the warehouse club. You have to buy the whole thing. You can't pick how many rolls you want, you have to pay for the entire package.

A multi slot is like a pile of individual rolls of towels. You can decide how many you want, and you only pay for those you need.

In your case almost all of the slots were purchased as Ultra Slots. This is one easy way of making powers that can only be used by themselves.

For example: If you are throwing the Hammer at someone to try to hurt them (Energy Blast), then you can't use it in the same segment to pull you through the air (Flight) because it isn't in your hand right then.

So, by buying these two powers as Ultra Slots, and since you don't have enough Reserve Points to use them at the same time, you can't do both at the same time, which is as it should be.

If they were bought as Multi slots, you could fire a smaller Energy Blast (say 7d6 = 35 Active Points ) and fly (20" = 40 Active Points) at the same time.

Since this makes no sense, we buy it so that it won't work that way.

Now on to the powers:

Darkness - This is the classic "Call up a blinding rainstorm" bit. People with normal vision won't be able to see, but you can because you have purchased it with Personal Immunity.

Energy Blast - You throw the hammer and it smacks them. Hard.

Flight - You throw the hammer and hang on to the strap. Normally you might buy this with some limitation indicating that you can't steer very well, but hey, this is a "magic" hammer, so what the heck.

Sight and Hearing Group Flash - A big loud blast of Thunder and Lightning. Makes it hard to see or hear for a while. It is bought Area Effect because lightning doesn't usually strike one person right in the eye. (Thank Goodness!)

Hand to Hand Attack - Adds 15d6 to whatever damage you do with your Strength. People who get hit with this should remember you, when they wake up.

Killing Attack HTH - This only works vs. Inanimate objects. You can't hurt opponents with it, but it is great for smashing cars, trucks, walls, etc.

Missle Deflection/Reflection - Just what it sounds like. You can send ranged attacks back at your opponent, or anyone else that is annoying you.

Teleportation - If you want to do the Thor thing, why not go all the way. You and 7 friends can take an all expense paid trip 25" (50 Meters) away. In the blink of an eye!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

KA.

Cost Power END
50 Hammer of Mystery: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots OIF (Personal; -1/2)
5u 1) Darkness to Sight Group 6" radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (75 Active Points) 7
5u 2) Energy Blast 15d6 (75 Active Points) 7
5m 3) Flight 20" (40 Active Points) 4
5u 4) Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 6d6, Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (70 Active Points) 7
4u 5) Hand-To-Hand Attack +15d6 (75 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 7
3u 6) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 5d6 (5 1/2d6 w/STR) (75 Active Points); Only vs. Inanimate Objects (-1) 7
3u 7) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target (50 Active Points) 0
4u 8) Teleportation 25", No Relative Velocity, x8 Increased Mass (75 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) 14
Powers Cost: 84