Darksword

lazarus

Well, here I am again asking for magic system write ups ;)

Anyone else intrigued by the magic system in the Darksword books? It's already dealt with in a game - Phantasia, contained in the book "Darksword Adventures", a paperback sized book by Weis and Hickman.

Anyway, the main workings of this system are thus:

It takes some kind of energy to cast spells. More powerful, more energy. I believe it was "life". Anyway, it's in the land. Some magicians, known as "Catalysts", syphon the energy from the land, to a mage who uses it.

Laz

Guest Uberhund

Re: Darksword

As I recall, everyone was born with a certain amount of "Life" (or mana, determining how powerful they were magically) and was able to cast spells themselves. However, recovery of the spent mana seemed to be extremely slow, and they were perhaps limited on how much they could spend. I recall that walking was ... rude, a show of weakness, such like, but even the mightiest mages could find themselves walking if they spent too much "life" too quickly (flight, or floating, was the norm).

Catalysts were able to draw the mana from the land itself and project it to others for their use. The sad thing was that catalysts were unable to use the man themselves and were restricted to walking. With the extra mana provided by the catalysts a mage cxould cast many spells, and it seemed more powerful spells.

Sorcery was the practice of technology. The world was once in contact with a high tech world that nearly destroyed it (mind you, this is greatly simplifying the books) and therefore technology/sorcery was outlawed. People were afraid of technology (magic was used in its place, for nearly EVERYTHING) partially because tech could not be directly affected by magic. Also, it allowed everyone to be on basically equal footing which is a bad no-no for any elitist culture (the mages).

Anyone born without "Life" (or mana) was pronounced "Dead" and was summarily left to die. The catalysts (yes, they werer somwhat like priests) would perform a deathwatch where they watched the infant expire, then disposed of the body. Nice guys, huh?

Anyway, that is what I recall in a nutshell about the magic system. Very good set of books, giving rise to certain NPCs that still inhabit dark corners of my games. Hard ot find now, but highly recommended.

Ciao for now.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Having a copy of the book on my desk, I have thought a bit about converting it. (Cool setting).

Okay. All magi are REALLY powerful, because Thimhallen makes it so. It is literally setting specific; mages from other planes (or earth) get stronger in Thimhallen.

So. Someone who cannot fly on earth, can fly there. Catalysts have the power of a "Familiar" to aid.

If you cast too much, you collapse, exhausted, unless trained to move without magic.

So. Usually, Magic comes out of LTE. Catalysts can aid END to prevent this, or to reverse it (Aid, Drain, Transfer). All mages have a power pool; since this flexibility is a product of a surfeit of magic...

Buy spells as for a normal game. RP of spells then becomes RP for Power Pool.

If trained to operate without magic, it comes out of an Endurance Reserve.

END can be dispelled or suppressed.

Beyond that, no rules. (oh - 'cept that you can only cast within your mystery, or a little bit of others - essentially, tight SFX requirements)

After all, Thimhallen isn't about Rules.

(Darksword = HKA + Power Defense+ FF + FD +etc + END Drain)

Society, monsters, etc, as per book.

Catalysts were, to me, the most interesting characters in the book ... someone who I would enjoy playing in a game, not just a DNPC/END reserve. However, of course, they're kind of limited in what they're able to do ... especially since swords etc were verboten.

Laz

Guest WhammeWhamme

I was thinking more that Catalysts were Endurance Reserves usable by others. Since I think mages basically just drew whatever extra they wanted and Catalysts don't really actively do anything' date=' though they can turn off the tap.[/quote']

Uhm. I'm pretty sure the Catalysts are in control. That's why they're a political power, and how they can "suck" the magic out of Wizards (as Saryon attempts in Book One). They would precisely measure the amount of magic needed for a given task, to make sure the wizard didn't have excess-Saryon is a mathematical genius whose is thus more useful as a Catalyst.

Essentially, if you want to be a PC Catalyst, go one of two routes:

-Spiritual Advisor. The moral centre of the group, wise, suggersting the right courses of action. Psych skills, but relatively weak; probably will also need some unique talent. (Saryon)

-Political Master. Catalysts aren't all nice, y'know. Vanya is the puppetmaster of almost all Thimhallen, and he's got sucessors (lined up) and predecessors (if you want to adventure BEFORE the books). A boatload of contacts, favours, and KS's about the Politics of Thimhallen. Likely a 'Presence Monster'.

Either way, unless there are some Dead in the group, the Catalyst will likely have a lot of influence over the other players.