Environmental Movement

Rapier

Question

I was putting some more characters into HD and have a question.

Remoray was a common thug that was used as a guinea pig and mutated with eel DNA.

He has LS: Underwater Breathing, 10" Swimming, 15" Running and Environmental Movement: Underwater.

Environmental Movement (FREd, pg 64) states "they may move, act, fight in the chosen environment as if they were born to it -- with their full movement rates, CVs and Skill Rolls."

Now I know this sounds silly, but does this mean he would get his full 15" of Running Underwater? I am also assuming that underwater running would require him to be in contact with a surface, neh?

The main reason I ask is that Underwater Running seems to be a different kettle of fish (get it!?! get it!?! :D) than Running on Ice as in some of the examples.

Thanks!!

1 answer to this question

Re: Environmental Movement

Kettle of fish - ha ha ha. ;)

No, the "movement rate" applies mainly to things like running on ice or along narrow ledges. It doesn't transform water into air for Running purposes. ;) In an underwater environment, the Talent's mainly for CV and suchlike. But on the flipside, the GM could certainly interpret the Talent more broadly if he felt like. For example, it might be reasonable to say that most characters can only Run at 1" underwater, but someone with Aquatic Movement can move at 3", or 6", or 50% of his full Run, or what have you.

I'll see if I can't address this more fully in the Atlantis section of Hidden Lands. Thanx!