New weapons/Armour list

Lupus

Re: New weapons/Armour list

I like the idea of arrows sticking out of people but not killing them. There are quite a few accounts of this happening. Mind you - vital points being hit should be quick kills. I've just been reading about doubling killing damage based on hit locations in FH' date=' which may also be a way to go.[/quote']

I'm probably going to keep the damage from hit locations the same, but use the disabling/impairing rules. Including the option of impairing wounds to vital areas (especially head and vitals) killing NPCs outright. So to most humans, 4-5 points of BODY to vitals will kill... that's after doubling, so 2-3 points before.

That's about what I want. If a PC gets hit with that kinda thing, then the arrow... I dunno, just misses the really vital area. :) Still going to be a nasty wound that will take ages to heal, however... and, naturally, you risk killing the patient if you remove the arrow. "Hey... is this your aorta?"

I think I'll go with this. :) Arrows do less damage (but get piercing points, so they are still good against armour), and stick in the target... yeah, I think I like that. Has a nasty flavour to it, without (at first glance) unbalancing things.

(So, is anyone else still reading this thread, or is it just us two Aussies?)

I am reading.

I have also been building my own FH weapons and armor lists. I am also incoprorating piercing into the rules -- it works much better than AP for heroic level games. The document still has a bit of work to go - but it is illustrated and gets pretty deep into cultural weapons (variant axes, swords, spears, etc). Right now I have 45 weapons or so done. Half in HD2 and half on a word soon to be PDF sheet.

I am reading.

I have also been building my own FH weapons and armor lists. I am also incoprorating piercing into the rules -- it works much better than AP for heroic level games. The document still has a bit of work to go - but it is illustrated and gets pretty deep into cultural weapons (variant axes, swords, spears, etc). Right now I have 45 weapons or so done. Half in HD2 and half on a word soon to be PDF sheet.

Cool. :) I'd be interested in seeing yours. Anyway, gonna post mine...

Okay, here's what I've come up with. I've included notes in the document where appropriate, as well as specific rules (mainly the 'arrow sticking in target' one).

It's not intended to be comprehensive, just give a broad base. It's also supposed to reflect Middle Earth weapons, as opposed to general fantasy.

Um... well, here it is. (Word document format. Crappy, I know, but most people will be able to read it. The original WordPerfect file was 49k, this one's 143k. Bleah!)

Heh.

Strangely enough - one to one fighting, despite what the movies and roleplaying games show, was incredibly rare amongst warriors.

They had this thing called armies, Mark. Which is kinda different.

They did. However right up until the Sengoku Jiddai era, among samurai, a well-described tradition of one to one combat existed, in which armour clearly played a crucial role. In the roman gladitorial games, where one on one combat was major feature and where we also have good contemporary evidence, fighters with heavier armour were matched against fighters in lighter armour. The heavily armoured fighters were always handicapped so that they would not win too easily. We have near-contemporary writings from the icelandic sagas also describing individual combat in which the benefit of armour is plain. And in a thousand and one small conflicts - Irish versus viking, Irish versus norman, Highland feuds, the crusader era and so on and so on, where combat was often in very small groups or individuals versus other individuals. In such combats the best armoured individuals usually prevailed - which is why armour was always so highly prized and highly sought after, even in cultures where large-scale organized combat was rare.

cheers, Mark