Varible Power Pool with 1 Charge

techogre

Question

If I have a Varible Power Pool with 1 Charge, but I want the charge to be on each point, would this be the full -2 or less? For example, I have "Mr. D&D Wizard" with a 100 point pool, can I use it to create two 50pt effects, or ten 10pt powers, or some other combination of single use powers that add up to 100pts.

1 answer to this question

Re: Varible Power Pool with 1 Charge

I'm not sure I understand the question, particularly in regard to what you're referring to when you say "I want the charge to be on each point".

If a VPP has Charges, those Charges indicate the number of times per day any one slot from the VPP can be used. The character can re-allocate points in his VPP to different slots as often as desired without using a Charge (unless the GM, some other rule, or a Limitation says otherwise), but if he activates/uses a slot, that costs a Charge. (Constant Powers require one Charge per Phase, as usual.) If he activates two or more slots in a single Phase or Action, each slot uses one Charge (unless the GM rules otherwise in the interest of common sense, dramatic sense, special effects, considerations of game balance, or the like).

Example: Dr. Weird has a 90-point Cosmic VPP with 1 Charge (-2). On his Phase in Segment 12, as a Zero-Phase Action he allocates the Pool — 60 points to an EB 12d6, 30 points to Force Field. But then the fight stops and he doesn’t have to activate/use either power. His allocation of the VPP doesn’t use up a Charge.

(If, however, the fight had continued, Dr. Weird could use his 1 Charge to activate/use either his Energy Blast or his Force Field. He can’t use both, because using each one requires 1 Charge, and he’s only got a single Charge to use. Dr. Weird would probably begin to wonder why in God’s name he bought a VPP with 1 Charge.)

A few seconds later, Dr. Weird’s Danger Sense activates, telling him that there’s a mystical threat in Kuala Lumpur. On his next Phase, he re-allocates the VPP to buy some MegaScaled Teleportation so he can get to Kuala Lumpur. Then he activates the Teleportation and ::bamf!:: away he goes. Since he activated/used a slot — the Teleportation power — he’s used up his 1 Charge for the day, so he’ll have to wait until tomorrow to use his VPP again.