Grab: Throwing & Squeezing after initial grab

CorPse

Question

Here's something that confused me a bit in the FRED Grab section.

I'll quote from pg. 386, almost the end of the page:

"If the Grabber wants to Squeeze or Throw his victim in a later Phase, doing so is an attack Action (it doesn't automatically succeed, requires an Attack Roll, and so forth.)

... and then later on pg. 387...

"If the attack roll for a Throw fails, the victim is no longer Grabbed and suffers no effects of a Throw (he takes no damage, remains on his feet, and suffers no initiative penalty in relation to the character who threw him.)"

So, what Skill Levels would apply to a Throw happening in a phase after the 'initial' Grab? Clearly HTH Levels, etc. would apply, but what about levels with Grab or Levels with Throw?

Also, when the text mentions failing the Attack roll with the Throw, I assume it means actually hitting/attacking the Grabbed character and has nothing to do with the roll you'd make to hit a hex with a character you're throwing? I assume you can miss your hex about as badly as you want to and make a roll using the Scatter rules to see where the Grabbed, and now Thrown, character ends up.

In a similar vein, what Skill Levels would apply to a Squeeze happening in a phase after the 'initial' Grab? Again, clearly HTH Levels would apply, but what about levels with Grab? Could a character buy levels with Squeeze? (I suppose buying levels with Squeeze would only make sense point-wise if levels with Grab did not apply to later phase squeezing.)

THANKS!

1 answer to this question

Re: Grab: Throwing & Squeezing after initial grab

1. HTH Combat CSLs would apply. CSLs specifically bought for throwing Grabbed characters would apply. CSLs for Grab would not apply, since this is a Throw, not a Grab. CSLs bought for Throw-based maneuvers (such as Martial Throw) would not apply, since a Throw after a Grab isn’t a Throw-based maneuver.

2. If the Attack Roll for a Throw following a Grab fails, the effects are as noted on 5ER 387. That also means missing any additional “target” the victim was Thrown at (such as a specific hex or another character). The GM can determine where the Thrown character lands using the rules for misses area-affecting attacks or whatever other method seems appropriate to him.

3. HTH Combat CSLs would apply. CSLs specifically bought for squeezing Grabbed characters would apply. CSLs for Grab would not apply, since this is a Squeeze, not a Grab.