journal of a hero

Speedball

Re: journal of a hero

Toronto’s a wonderful little city. Owens and I are staying at the Four Seasons, doing a little sight-seeing and attending a couple of fundraisers to cover the real reason for the visit. Of course, I don’t mind attending parties with more gorgeous young Canadian women than I can shake a stick at. The wonderful thing about these Canadian women is their…open relationship to sex. It makes me wonder why England let her leave the Empire. I’ve always heard it said that the Empire was founded by men looking for a better meal and a better class of woman. Now, I’m not complaining about our home-grown women, but I met an Inuit woman last night who absolutely knocked me out.

A wonderful little city? Just about as big as London in terms of the city proper, 2/3 as big if you include whole metropolitan areas (5 million vs. 7.5 million). Maybe he's being ironic here?

Also remember that that Toronto is not really in the Great White North as such - it's south of Maine, for example. You'd no more expect to see a lot of Inuit there than anywhere else in the North American continent. Lots more of other ethnic groups, considering there may be no more than 1000 or so Inuit within the entire city.

Re: journal of a hero

A wonderful little city? Just about as big as London in terms of the city proper, 2/3 as big if you include whole metropolitan areas (5 million vs. 7.5 million). Maybe he's being ironic here?

Also remember that that Toronto is not really in the Great White North as such - it's south of Maine, for example. You'd no more expect to see a lot of Inuit there than anywhere else in the North American continent. Lots more of other ethnic groups, considering there may be no more than 1000 or so Inuit within the entire city.

Please understand that I'm writing in character as a 25 year old man. Thus, yes, he was using the diminuitive to describe Toronto as only a young man brought up in the colonial tradition might. The writer has visited Toronto several times and loves it; the character considers it a "wonderful little city."

As far as bumping into an Inuit woman, given that the writer has met one or two in New York, is it impossible for a character to bump into one in Toronto? The writer recognizes that the Inuit people are not native to the area. The character may not.

Last, I hope no offense was taken. Certainly none was meant. Just trying to get a feel for what it's like to write for someone who's a decade younger, more naive, and considerably wealthier--and hopefully a bit more stuck-up.