Fencing...(follow up)

Greg

Question

Here's the original message:

I read through a couple messages in regards to damage, martial arts and weapons, but I just wanted to check that I wasn't missing something. My understanding is that and DCs of damage given by a martial art maneuver are halved for KA. Does this apply to all martial arts or just those that are hand-to-hand that have weapon element added in? In 5rev a Fencing Slash is listed as weapon cost:5 OCV:0 DCV:2 and weapon +2DC. Cost wise it looks like an Offensive Strike, but then the OCV would be -2. If it's a Martial Strike then the cost would be 4 and the damage bonus would be +1DC (assuming the 1/2 applies).

_________

Just to narrow down what I'm asking, the sample style of fencing in the revised 5th ed. book says:

Slash OCV:0 DCV:2 notes:weapon damage +2DC

If this is built on Offensive Strike I would expect:

OCV:-2 DCV:2 notes:weapon damage +2DC

If this is built on Marial Strike I would expect:

OCV:0 DCV:2 notes:weapon damage +1DC

I just need to know which maneuver "Slash" is based on and then I'll have the answer to my rules question embedded in the original message.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Re: Fencing...(follow up)

That's a Martial Strike. It adds +2 DCs to a weapon-based attack (a Martial Strike with an unarmed style would also add +2 DCs, but it would be written +2d6). Since a weapon-based attack with Fencing almost certainly means a Killing Attack, those +2 DCs only increase the weapon's damage by 1 DC, per the rules on 5ER 406.

IOW, the listing for the maneuver indicates how many DCs it adds -- but characters are still subject to any additional rules regarding how Martial Maneuvers add to damage. The listing for a Martial Maneuver does not presume that a character will (or won't) be using a Killing Damage weapon: it just lists the DCs added, then any other relevant rules apply. ;)